• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$18 range box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bro in law and I added a 4 seasons room to his home. We had a bunch of 1x pine scraps left over. I grabbed a handful and made a range box. I spent about $18 on the hinges, handle and a sash lock. Its "sealed" with bees wax and lemon oil. Nuttin' too fancy. My table saw doesn't have enough power to spin a dado blade. So, I just butt jointed with a splash of wood glue and brad nails. It holds everything I need for all of my rifles, cap or flint, bullet or ball.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
My bro in law and I added a 4 seasons room to his home. We had a bunch of 1x pine scraps left over. I grabbed a handful and made a range box. I spent about $18 on the hinges, handle and a sash lock. Its "sealed" with bees wax and lemon oil. Nuttin' too fancy. My table saw doesn't have enough power to spin a dado blade. So, I just butt jointed with a splash of wood glue and brad nails. It holds everything I need for all of my rifles, cap or flint, bullet or ball.
Looks STURDY, too!

Thanks guys. I shoot in my yard as I live in the "sticks" and get an easy, safe 60 yard shot. My usual way was to set up my bench and chair and then put a piece of cardboard on the ground with my stuff sitting on it. That was a PITA. I left the lid over hang because I think I will cut a few half rounds in it to hold my rifle(s) from tipping over.

Take an old belt and make some handles.

I've been using an electricians tote and while not PC it works wonderfully, tons of slots for all the tools needed.

I have learned that when I build a box to carry all that I need to the range, it is too heavy to carry.
That’s how mine is. 20mm cannon ammo can, .45/.50/.54 projectiles, multiple cans of powder, half a dozen large tubes of T-17 and Bore Butter, 4 cleaning kits worth of rods and tips… Add the 7.5” barreled Old Army, and trying to tote 2 Plains rifles in gun socks…
I really like the OP’s kit. Would go well with a chuck box and canvas tent.

My youngest boy is stopping over tonight to fire his brand spankin' new .54 Woodsrunner. I will let you all know how the box works. I'm sure I will be firing some rounds off as well. It's too hard to watch somebody burn powder and not burn a little yourself :)

Good looking box. One of these days I'm going to build one. For now I have three different plastic tool boxes. One for my cap and ball revolver, one for my modern centerfire guns and one for my musket and muzzleloading rifles. I have to make sure I take the right one to the range though.

Looking at this thread gives me encouragement to build me a box. My hang up is I shoot right out of my workshop. A box would help with originazation.
It will be made of either spalted pecan or mesquite I have milled.

Latest posts

Back