• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1847 Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these? I am thinking about getting a Uberti Kit of this gun. If you have one, or a kit tell me how it shoots, and what you like, or dislike about it. Hows the quality?

Got a Uberti Walker - not a kit though, have had it for several years. Quality on the one I have is very good. Unless their quality has come down in recent years, you should be happy with it. As far as itbeing a shooter, it is better than most. The long barrel and even longer sight radius make this an accurate handgun out to some impressive distances. You will have to spend some time adjusting (filing) your sights. The rear sight in the nose of the hammer takes a lot of work - there are some old posts on here with photos on what to do there. Only frustrations in shooting the thing is the occassional drop down of the loading arm, the real ones did this too, and the design of the rear of the cylinder doesn't shed spent caps very well. Broken hunks of caps will seize the thing up every other cylinder load I have found.

Thanks.

Ive heard about that laoding arm dropping down with bigger loads, but it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Do you have any pics?

I don't have a Walker (would like to) but have seen how some owners remedy the ram drop with leather thong, file the catch angle, use stronger spring on the lever end.

I've had my Uberti Walker for a while now; if I'm shooting a pistol it's the one that goes with me most often. Accuracy is decent considering the sights it's equipped with. Mine shoots best with 50-55gr FFFg, .454 balls and crisco over the balls. To alleviate the loading lever dropping I filed a small notch in the loading lever spring... prior to that the lever would drop every shot loaded higher than about 30gr. Here's a pic from my last outing to the range, not my best shooting with the Walker but I figure my arms were getting tired of holding that 4.5lb hoss out there (I'd already shot about eight cylinders through it).

Walker3.jpg

Although it isn't a Uberti (would you believe it is a CVA from 1967?) this is a picture of my Walker.
You might notice the cylinder is not blued and if you are going to build one, you might want to consider this for your gun.
The original Walkers cylinder wasn't blued so I used Naval Jelly to remove the blueing from my gun.
Some like it that way, and some don't.
walkerB.jpg

By the way, this is one of the few C&B revolvers I own that actually shoots to the point of aim.
Most C&B guns shoot very 'high'.
zonie :)

wow, nice guns guys..all of you. It seems these Walkers have proven themselves worthy. I think ill get the kit, and have a little project.

I have one ,but I haven't shot it a lot. Shoot a cylinder of six rounds and it will be locked up. Take it apart and clean before I can fire it again. just to much trouble.
Old Charlie

walkersearls.jpg

they don't have the dished out breach to the right of the hammer like later revolvers but the overall size seems to make up for this. We've shot a kit Uberti and the ready made one above. Both are extremely accurate and handle burst caps well. I tie the lever up to reduce wear from it dropping down all the time. (I've seen older replica walkers with worn catches that will no longer hold the lever up even when they're not being fired.)
both of these Uberti walkers are accurate and easy to shoot.
walkerhead.jpg

walkeroneh50.jpg

Nice combo you have there, any of the original Rangers would have considered themselves lucky to have them.

:bow: I think that my Colt Walker is the best of my collection of C&B revolvers and single shot pistols. This one I bought this pristine firearm in a pawn shop in Pennsylvania and has "Address Saml Colt New-York City " engraved on the top strap. A great shooter and a big smoker at the range. Nice to meet with other Walker owners and yak. :hatsoff:

they do have a tendency toward smoke. the camera is unmanned, on timer:
walkersmoke.jpg

I bought a uberti a couple of years ago.
Very good quality.
Made a leather thong for the loading lever
walker.jpg

A black ponytail holder works great for holding up the lever and is less conspicuous. Just use the ouchless ones without the metal clip. :thumbsup:

Guess ya got the answer you wanted, my 2 cents.. best shooting C+B Ive ever had so I got 2 now. :grin: Dont even bother to shoot the others anymore except the Navy short barrel sometimes. Fred :hatsoff:

I've got three Walkers and would probably buy a fourth if the chance arose. They are accurate, hard hitting guns and I've never had a whit of trouble with any of them. The levers don't drop and I can fire a number of cylinder loads before giving them a quick cleaning. I've knocked over old ten pins at 100 yards with them and an afternoon of plinking is a real blast. Maybe I should get them out and spend a day with them....

ZONIE IF YA LIKE WALKERS YOU WOULD OF LOVED THE TEX RANGER MUEUSM IN WACO THEY HAD MAYBE 150 OF THEM, ONE EVEN HAD A COFFEE GRINDER IN A SHOULDER STOCK. ( The new director ( :rotf: ) had all the guns pulled out - said they had "nothing to do with the Ranger history." :shocked2: SAY WHAT!! Fred :hatsoff:

mucluk can you go into where this notch is a little more, Id try anything new to stop that dang droping lever. FRED :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back