• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1847 Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically you just need to file the loading lever latch down so it has something resembling a hook on the end. The trick is if you make the hook too sharp then you can no longer pull the lever down, you end up having to push in on the latch to get it to release the loading lever. Take a little off at a time, test for fit/function often, and if ya screw up DGW has a replacement for $8 :winking:

latch.jpg

In fact, the Texas Rangers were never issued the Walker. Walkers were issued to the Army (U.S. Mounted Rifles). Rangers used Patersons finagled from the Texas Navy, and started Colt's career. :winking:

J.S. Colt said:
In fact, the Texas Rangers were never issued the Walker. Walkers were issued to the Army (U.S. Mounted Rifles). Rangers used Patersons finagled from the Texas Navy, and started Colt's career. :winking:

Actually, that is right. The ex-rangers who joined with Capt. Hays and became the Texas Regiment of Mounted Rifles, and other versions of such, and chose to call themselves "Texas Rangers" were issued 180 Walkers as noted in R.I.P. Ford's book. He was the regiment's administrative officer and kept rather meticulous records. Of the 180 guns issued, only about half were turned back in. He chalkd this up to loss in combat, mechanical problems, etc. but many probably went back in the old "kit bag"! There's a post Mexican War picture of Ford with two holstered revolvers that just have to be Walkers, seeing that the holsters hang from belt to just above the knees.

Ford left several interesting comments about the Walkers in combat. One is the thought that some of the guns may have failed in use due to the troops loading the conical cast bullets in backwards. The problem was probably the steel. The regimental marksman dropped an enemy soldier at 120 long steps...not bad for a pistol shot!

GUESS I SHOULD OF SAID " HE SAID C+B GUNS,RIFLES C+B OR FLINT GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ......ECT.FRED :hatsoff:

Strykerdlh said:
The Colt Walker is truly a beautiful thing! Most certainly near the top of my wish list.
My Walker in White Finish by special order only. Was lucky to get the only extant specimen at that time in Slovenia
trance_05_banana.gif

WalkerRevolver1.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

Replica Walker & Patterson borrowed from a friend to shoot!

Davy

"In the white" guns looks good when new.But give me a color case-hardened frame anyday!

New to the forum, but not to a Walker. Have had mine for over a year using it for plinking and competition shooting, always with 50 gr. FFFg Goex, .454 hornady ball with a wonder-wad over the charge. Mine shoots exactly 6.5 inches high at 25 yds. Very accurate if I do my part! At a recent gong shoot in No. Jersey the Walker hit a torso sized gong at 135 yds. A small rubber band for the lever drop doesen't block the sights. Also use a handmade Loading Stand to get consistant ramming/seating of the ball which greatly improved the accuracy. Friends of mine say the Walker was sighted in for 100 yds. and replaced a carbine rifle. Mine's a Uberti, not from a kit, and did nothing to it. Welcome to the world of .44 Magnum black powder! You'l never go back!!

Have you ever used synthetic grease inside the cylinder? Seems to work fine for me, especially in the winter. I also use Butch's Bore Shine on a patch wiping the front of the cylinder so as to get rid of all of the crud from the cylinder face and the forcing cone of the barrel. I can usually shoot 4 cylinder's worth this way before it starts to bind and give me a real problem. The Bore Shine works this way for all wheelguns, especially those of the Colt design. When I first got my Walker I wasn't too carefull as to exactly how I put it back together...half-cock is the right way for me! Now it is as smooth as a baby's you know what and it doesn't bind. Give it another shot, maybe yours just needs "broken-in". All the best, Dave

I just picked this on up for my birthday. It is new and unfired for 265.00!

I took it to the range, and boy is it a blast! I did experience the loading lever drop problem, and will remedy that!

I had so much fun shooting this, I forgot to load and shoot a long rifle I brought!

Picture101.jpg

I'm new here, but Colts are my favorite. I picked up an Uberti Walker from Cimarron a few years ago and love it. It didn't shoot to bad right out of the box. But I can't leave anything alone, so I sized the chambers, fitted the cylinder pin to the barrel, raised the front sight, re-cut the forcing cone and did a trigger job to it. I shoot a light load for punching holes in paper, 19 grains of 3F, and filler, a lot of filler. From a bench I can put all six shots into one VERY BIG hole. Off hand is a different story, but I know it is me, not the walker. It is by far one of the best shooting Colts I own. If you want to impress people at the range, load it up with 50 grains of 3F. My only suggestion would be to start weight lifting with your shooting arm.

TomH: Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the information on the load.

My old CVA Walker is one of the few C&B guns that I own that actually shoots to the point of aim.
You sure are right when you suggest a weight lifting program. Something there is about 4 1/2 pounds hanging out there at the end of my skinny arm. :rotf:

zonie :)

For weight lifting, I use my 12 ga. with birdshot at the sporting clays range...using just my right hand to hold and fire the gun with my arm fully extended gives me a longer sight radius anyhow :shocked2: . Using the Walker with only 50 gr. 3F after that feels like a pop-gun :shake: .

It takes alot of practice to shoot the 12 ga. with one hand, but then I do like to show-off once in a while :haha:

On windy days the 50 gr. in the Walker gets the rounds to the target before the wind gets a chance to blow-em off course :winking: .

Enjoy your Walker to it's MAX!

Dave

Latest posts

Back