• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1849 Gold Rush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Ok fellow members, put your thinking caps on...

panning.gif

What kind of weapons did the tin panners take with them as they flooded to California in search of gold?

Surely there were a few that used single shot cap locks, maybe even flinters, the bulk of the people were dirt poor and stayed that way throughout the gold rush...

Not everyone could afford the 1849 Pocket, .31 caliber revolver offered by Colt...

What about long arms?

What do you think they took for hunting food, defence against claim jumpers and warding off brown bears?

musketman,,, The time period we are talking here coincides with the Oregon Trail. I see no reason that these folks would not have bought along what they were use to using. Be it percussion or flint rifle's, or shotguns, or single shot pistols... They probably carried a good knife for general use and just in case they needed it when on a whiskey binge after they found a nugget... I wonder how many who passed through St. Louis traded their eastern rifle's for larger caliber "Trade Rifles", which would have been in abundance in this town back in the 1850's, and 1860's??? Those who came to the gold fields from the east by way of "ship" probably arrived with their eastern rifle, knife, and possibly a pistol... I'm sure there's more educated folks out there then me with more knowledge of this period... :)

musketman,,, The time period we are talking here coincides with the Oregon Trail.

I have a map of the Oregon Trail too... ::
ot_per1.jpg

GOLD
nugget11.gif

In the pictures below, a percussion muzzleloader can clearly be seen,
(ls)miners_weighing_gold.jpg

You got all the good stuff! :: I noticed in that picture the knife and pistol too... I once heard that if a person knew what they were doing, they could pan an average of $80.00 dollars worth of gold from streams in the west each day... Least that's what Paul Harvey "claimed"... Unfortunately he didn't say which streams??? I'm not sure, but that's the rest of my story... Good day... :haha:... Always wanted to say that!!!

Well, a very though provoking post. I'd venture a guess here that people who took to the west to pan for gold were likely not well off and were seeking fortune. Probably there were a lot of different weapons to be seen in that area during that era. My guess is that anything servicable would have been in use. Cap guns were likley in wide pread use, but I'll bet there were plenty of flinters including smoothbore muskets and the smoothie would have been a very versitile arm.

In the pictures below, a percussion muzzleloader can clearly be seen...

Not necessarily relating to these particular sketches, but...

It's good to remember that "artists" often portrayed what little they knew about a subject or added items that were familiar to "them", rather than what may have been the reality. They may also have had a political agenda.

In later years, many photographers carried their own weapons to "lend" people for photographs. You'll see several different photos where the "cowboys" are holding the same prop rifle belonging to the photographer. I've seen many examples of this in Native American photos in the late 1800's.

Claude, you live in California...

What knows you of the 1849 gold rush?

You ever find any gold yourself?

I hear that all the gold in California, is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills, in somebody elses name...

Now that you stated about props in pictures, I started searching some Mathew B. Brady pictures, looks like you are right...

Maybe I can find some solid proof, It'll give me something to do later in the day...

I grew up in Fresno, which is just south of the California 'gold country'. I don't know anything about the weapons the '49ers' carried with them, but just on a side note, I used to spend some of my summer days riding my motorcycle through the gold country, up highway 41 (which leads into Yosemite Valley), through Coursegold and Oakhurst. I would often stop in Oakhurst just for a hot dog and a beer, then head back. The ride was the object, not the destination. There's a '49ers' museum up there in the hills, although my timing was always off, it was always closed when I went up there. Also in Oakhurst is the "Golden Chain Theater", if you ever get a chance to go there. It's an old time vaudeville theater, where they put on a play like in the old days, everyone has beer and popcorn during the show. The story is usually something like this: A 45-minute melodrama ends with the usual scene. A charming hero appears on the stage (everyone cheers when he comes out), trying to save the beautiful damsel who is tied up on the train tracks. Then the villain, dressed in a black tailed coat, grey pants, top hat, and curly moustache with a sneer on his face, comes out to ambush the good guy, and everyone boos, hisses, and throws popcorn at the stage when he shows his face. All set to dramatic piano music played by a guy down by the stage. Lots of fun. Forget Hollywood and San Francisco. I can tell you the places in California to visit on a vacation that have real history and charm. If anyone's into motorcycle touring, try highways 41 and 49 through California's gold country on a summer day. The scenery of the golden hills and winding roads is amazing. There's no other ride like it. Thanks for this thread, musketman. It brought back a lot of memories.

http://www.goldenchaintheatre.org/

Claude, you live in California...

What knows you of the 1849 gold rush?

You ever find any gold yourself?

I know very little about the history of the California gold rush. I have panned a little and owned a placer claim in San Diego County. Never found very much, but the anticipation is always exciting.

Scout.jpg

Does this look like a man who has found lots of gold? Hey! Isn't that a Rolex Oyster on his wrist!!!!

Then again, he does own the Internet. . . Ya reckin he just lives simple but has it all burried somewhere?

Here's an 1849 newspaper account of provisioning for the Gold Rush. it mentions "rifles" and, in several places "revolvers." I have heard the pepperbox style of pistol was popular. I think one of the early Dixie Annuals covered the guns of the Gold Rush - I'll check when I get home.

The Gazette
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Dec 20, 1849

CALIFORNIA CORRESPONDENCE
The letter from which we are permitted to make the following extracts, was written by a gentleman who formerly resided in this vicinity, whose veracity cannot be questioned. A notice of the detention of the brig, fears of her loss and her final appearance at San Francisco, reached us through the prints prior to the reception of the letter:-

Brig Phoenix, April 3d
Lat 9 deg. 10 min. N. Long. 85
DEAR BROTHER- I left Davenport Jan. 29th, made very good time to Chagres, arriving February 27th, since which time I have met with many delays. The isthmus was literally crowded with all classes of people on their way to gather the precious metal. Its very difficult on this side to procure passage. I have known Steamer Tickets to sell for $800 when the original price in N.York was but $200. I bought a ticket on the Phoenix for $200 and could have sold it the next day for 50 per cent advance. Getting passage tickets here is about like throwing an apple in a crowd of boys- its the lucky lad who gets the apple. If vessels do not come in faster than they have, at least one-third of the emigrants will be bound to return home or take some other route. Board in Panama is $2.00 per day. Provisions are becoming very scarce, many are returning home already being nearly out of funds; some have started with an insufficient sum, whilst others have lost all they had by gambling, which is carried on at every stopping place on the isthmus and in every variety of ways. The health of Panama, in fact I may say of the whole isthmus, is yet very good, and as to Cholera, there has not been a single case come under my notice since I left home. It is true, there have been a number of deaths, but that you would naturally expect amongst such a number of emigrants, all unaccustomed to a camping life and the most of whom have been transferred from an extreme cold climate and thrown under the scorching rays of a tropical sun. There have also been several drowned in ascending Chagres river, and several have been wounded, two or three mortally, by the improper use of firearms.
We left Panama March 18th, went up to Tobago Island to take in wood and water, weighed anchor the 20th and proceeded on our trip. We had fine breezes for several days, since which time we have met with some calms, gales, and storms which we were told were all very common in this latitude at this season. We are longing to get to Rialgo where we are bound to put in to do some repairs to the ship and take in some provisions, when I intend mailing my letter, after which place we will look for more regular winds. Our passengers number 76. So you know our accommodations are no where enviable, although we try to make ourselves as happy as possible under such circumstances. Our amusements are playing at chess, checkers, and backgammon, with occasionally a game of cards for a bottle of wine, or a little fruit. Others will be keeping time to a well played violin. You will see others sitting or standing in groups, some singing the well known theatrical song, "O carry me back to old Virginia shore." You will hear others telling in what way they intend investing their funds on their return home, building large castles in the air. I have noted the lat. and long., that by referring to your map you will readily see where this letter was written. A breeze begins to stir, so I close.

RIALGO, Nicaragua, April 8.
Since writing the above we experienced a heavy gale and will be obliged to remain here two weeks to repair damages. This is a beautiful Spanish City, containing about 10,000 inhabitants. I yesterday rode out to Chinendagua, distance of about ten miles,- a still larger and more beautiful place than this. The people are very civil and courteous, particularly the dear ladies, who follow you around the streets like so many boys to see an elephant. Tonight we attend a fandango got up for our (especial) benefit.

April 20th.- The Steamers have not stopped at this place, agreeably to contract, so I will carry my letter on until I can get a chance to send it. We sail to-morrow, great shedding of tears to-day between our lads and the Spanish lasses.

SAN FRANCISCO, July 12th, '49.
After the longest and most tedious and long suffering passage recorded in history, I arrived in this place, being within a few days of four months, after leaving Rialgo. We encountered a tremendous storm and got blown out to sea. Lost several of our most important sails and spars, consequently were so crippled that we could scarcely make any headway at all, but to help the matter we had a constant dead ahead wind. Our provisions began to grow short and the largest water tank sprang a leak by the working of the ship, and lost all its water, so we had to go upon close allowance of both water and provisions. We were forty days without bread and not a pound of flour on board. We lived thirty days on a pint of mush for breakfast, no dinner and a single slap-jack for supper made office and corn ground together in a coffee mill. We had both beef and pork but durst not touch either, on account of thirst. We had but a single pint of water per day that we could use in tea, coffee, or drink it clear, but of course we drank it clear to save evaporation. Some seemed to do much better without water than others. Some could save a gill of water per day out of a pint, whilst others would go raving about the decks perfectly crazy for drink. I have seen five dollars paid for a pint of water just as freely as I ever did for a barrel of flour. But on the morning of the 4th of July to our great joy we heard the cannon firing at Santa Cruz, and at 4 o'clock we dropped anchor. We sent ashore, killed a bullock and had a perfect jubilee. Next day we went on board and got our rifles, revolvers, and what few clothes we could carry, deserted the ship and took up our line of march on foot for San Francisco, distance about ninety miles, arriving in five days. I suppose there are at this time about fifty thousand people in this place mostly living in tents and on board of ships. It is said that there are double the number of ships now lying in this bay than ever were at one time in N. York harbor. Carpenter's wages are from 12 to 20 dollars per week. Blacksmiths get about the same wages as Carpenters. Common laborers from 8 to 12 dollars per day. To-morrow I start for Stockton, thence to the diggings, and as there is no steamer looked for under two weeks I'll defer mailing this until I can say something about gold digging.

TOWALANA RIVER, Aug. 12th.
I have been in the diggings just three weeks to-day. I have been sick eight days, had a severe attack of bilious fever, but to-morrow I shall again try work. These are not considered sickly diggings, but on the contrary are more healthy than others. Sickness is all the fear I have, although the people appear to be well disposed, but no one has time to take care of the sick or hardly to bury the dead, and as to a coffin, that's out of the question.

I suppose that the miners in this digging are averaging about one ounce per day. Gold sells here for 16 33-100 dollars per ounce, that is about one hundred dollars per week- this I mean clear. I had dug just ten days and had cleared one hundred and seventy dollars when I was taken sick. You can always exchange for gold coin at the above rate.

I would not recommend any one to come here who has a family. There have been a great many had their throats cut and gold taken. I never think of going to bed without first placing my gold under my pillow (that is to say my old coat) then examine my revolver, take my tooth-pick in my hand and then lay down. There was a man hung about five rods back of my tent last week and two nearly whipped to death. Served right- robbed a trading tent, and we have no other laws.

Provisions are plenty at the following prices, Pork 60 cts per lb., Flour 50, fresh beef 25.

We are raising a company of about 30 to go up the Mera Pada in about two weeks to explore that river. There is said to be lots of gold there, but the Indians are very hostile. But if there is gold plenty we are bound to have it or take a licking.

I have to close as the man by whom I send this letter to San Francisco is about to start. It is a rare chance to find anyone going down, as I am about two hundred miles from that place.

WM. ELDRIDGE

It's interesting reading about these places I've been to so many times, and some I still vistit frequently now. Stockton is just a modern city. I wonder what it was like 150 years ago. I've been to Santa Cruz more times than I can count. I used to ride over the mountains and down into Santa Cruz almost every day when I lived in San Jose. It's best known now as a surf town and, of course, the boardwalk is the big attraction. I never imagined that people came ashore there to make their way to the Sierra Nevada foothills for prospecting.

...then examine my revolver, take my tooth-pick in my hand and then lay down.
Is he referring to chewing on a toothpick, or does he mean his knife? As in an 'Arkansas Toothpick', a long-bladed dagger?

I be guessin as in Arkansas Toothpick - which probably came into use long after just calling any big knife a toothpick. Literal translations can be awkward, at best. (You can tell the fundamentalist gold rush reenactors - they'll be the ones sleeping with wood dental toothpicks in their teeth). ::

My sister-in-law lives in Santa Cruz. Go Bannana Slugs! Just close enough to my home in NY that we get along fine. Any closer . . . I'm not so sure?

Back