• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1849 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quanicassee

32 Cal
Reaction score
1849 Springfield

I have a 1849 Springfield with a shotgun barrel and was wondering if it was made this way or if it is a conversion.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    2 MB
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    1.5 MB
It's a Model 1842 Springfied Musket. The Lock would have been made in 1849 if it is so marked. You might find the remains of the same date on the surface of the barrel tang. Also look for a VP and a Eagle head on the barrel opposite the lock. It was probably altered after the Civil War for use as a shotgun.

I agree with @Conquerordie regarding the identification of your gun. It is a Model 1842 Springfield, one of the earliest US issue firearms with percussion ignition, and I believe the last smoothbore. It was originally .69 caliber, with a 42” barrel and full stock. There was no rear sight, and the original front sight was attached to the upper barrel band. This musket continued in production for a number of years, and out of necessity it was widely distributed to foot soldiers on both sides in the American Civil War, until they could be replaced with .58 caliber rifle muskets.

After the Civil War, there was a lot of popular opposition to having a “standing army,” and the American military was downsized. Consequently, thousands of military small arms were sold off as surplus. A lot of these had the barrels more or less shortened, a ramrod pipe soldered on, and the forends bobbed to half-stock. Rifled guns were generally reamed out to make smoothbores.

I don’t know if specific models are worth more or not, but generally speaking, I’ve seen these “sporterized” mid-19th century offered at prices ranging from around $250 up to $650. Just from my observations, it appears to me that condition counts more than the specific model in determining value. I was browsing an auction site recently and saw an 1864 Springfield that had been sporterized as above, but it had some newish-looking dome-head brass tacks driven into the stock and was thus deemed an “Indian gun,” which evidently increases the value. That one was priced at about $1,200. Who knows? It might have been the gun that shot Custer…

So, your gun probably doesn’t have a lot of value on the collector market. It is not a priceless relic. However, in my opinion, the real value of these guns shows when they are used as intended. If your gun is in shootable condition, there is no reason not to shoot it. Guns like yours make very handy and practical muzzleloading shotguns, and birds and small game fall before them as readily as if shot with a Purdy. Even if the bore is in bad shape, Robert Hoyt can line it for a couple hundred dollars and make it as good as new. I have cleaned up and examined a bunch of original Springfield locks, and can tell you the originals are better fitted and finished than any but the finest modern production locks. The springs keep their strength, and provided the locks have not been abused, they work great. Parts, if needed, are available, and I have found that interchangeability is very good.

These are great guns.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I agree with @Conquerordie regarding the identification of your gun. It is a Model 1842 Springfield, one of the earliest US issue firearms with percussion ignition, and I believe the last smoothbore. It was originally .69 caliber, with a 42” barrel and full stock. There was no rear sight, and the original front sight was attached to the upper barrel band. This musket continued in production for a number of years, and out of necessity it was widely distributed to foot soldiers on both sides in the American Civil War, until they could be replaced with .58 caliber rifle muskets.

After the Civil War, there was a lot of popular opposition to having a “standing army,” and the American military was downsized. Consequently, thousands of military small arms were sold off as surplus. A lot of these had the barrels more or less shortened, a ramrod pipe soldered on, and the forends bobbed to half-stock. Rifled guns were generally reamed out to make smoothbores.

I don’t know if specific models are worth more or not, but generally speaking, I’ve seen these “sporterized” mid-19th century offered at prices ranging from around $250 up to $650. Just from my observations, it appears to me that condition counts more than the specific model in determining value. I was browsing an auction site recently and saw an 1864 Springfield that had been sporterized as above, but it had some newish-looking dome-head brass tacks driven into the stock and was thus deemed an “Indian gun,” which evidently increases the value. That one was priced at about $1,200. Who knows? It might have been the gun that shot Custer…

So, your gun probably doesn’t have a lot of value on the collector market. It is not a priceless relic. However, in my opinion, the real value of these guns shows when they are used as intended. If your gun is in shootable condition, there is no reason not to shoot it. Guns like yours make very handy and practical muzzleloading shotguns, and birds and small game fall before them as readily as if shot with a Purdy. Even if the bore is in bad shape, Robert Hoyt can line it for a couple hundred dollars and make it as good as new. I have cleaned up and examined a bunch of original Springfield locks, and can tell you the originals are better fitted and finished than any but the finest modern production locks. The springs keep their strength, and provided the locks have not been abused, they work great. Parts, if needed, are available, and I have found that interchangeability is very good.

These are great guns.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks for taking the time in sharing your info. I think I will be shooting it when the weather warms up. Hank

Back