• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from South Australia.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard! Speaking as a Pom, surely Oz cant be worse than the UK for firearms enthusiasts? Luckily I got my house in France before all this Brexit madness a few offshore newspaper owners persuaded the Brits to vote for. As such I live in a climate much more friendly to shooters, especially BP shooters, where I can buy a gun over the counter using only ID to verify my age (I hardly think I would pass for 18 now anyway). I envy your location, I would bet there are plenty opportunities to shoot without hindrance in open country!

Welcome aboard from New England!

216020-Welcome-Aboard.jpeg

Welcome from SW Ohio.
I also shoot, & love, a "Southern Mountain Rifle", A lean, simple derivation off the Pennsylvania ("Kentucky") rifle. Information on the style is out there, but takes a bit of digging.
Welcome to the smoky side.

As the title says, hi all from the worst place in the world to be a firearms enthusiast!
I'm on the brink of buying my first flintlock rifle, a Kentucky pattern that to my meager understanding seems to be a Southern mountains rifle, although I have found a couple of threads that refute that title.
Needless to say, I'm a bit confused as to what pattern/era of rifle it could be. I'm pretty confident of the basis being a Kentucky (or Pennsylvania, as it has also been called apparently).

I'm looking forward to learning more about both my rifle, and the general history behind it and the people and culture behind it.
Sadly, there is limited chances that I'm aware of in Australia for events like Rendezvous etc, and all of the local shooting clubs tend to mock those that shoot in period dress :/
Having said that, if anyone else from Australia sees this and has information or recommendations for re-enacting or Rendezvous events, I'm all ears.

I have shot flintlock previously, but to date only handguns. I'm aware of the loading procedure etc.

When I have the rifle in my possession, I'll post photos if anyone is interested.

Scott
Dear Scot Not sure if Frank Gary still going there are / where a lot of Primitives in Aus I made some rifles for them But each state polies seem to try out stupid anti gun each other . We got some in Gods own. There is a fellow Le Loop seems to be into the US R 'vous thing . I did a lot in the US if more eastern' forest grunge' stuff 'or mostly F & I war , where in SA are you ? good luck .
Rudyard

Back