• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Colt made in late 70's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can get it I will TIG weld up the name, draw file it out and rust blue the strap again.
That will bring it back to original form and keep the same factory parts together.
It should bring the price down, I would think, who wants a gun for themselves with someone elses name boldly engraved across the back strap?
I'm sure that's why it has not sold for what they're asking yet. Mike D.

Is the trigger guard a square back one? If I remember, the backstraps were brass that were silver plated, not steel. Take a magnet along with you when you check out the revolver again. If the trigger guard is rounded and steel, it might be a London Navy... that is if I am thinking right. Or maybe the square backed guard was switched out for the steel one. :hmm: :idunno:

This one is dark but did seem to have a subdued brass color where the name was engraved but I thought that was just added to highlight the engraving.
Huh, never thought that it could be made of brass but you may be right and it was just painted or chemically blackened.
But why make it of brass then darken it, seems one would just use steel and blue it?
Kind of scratching my head on this one but it sure is interesting to learn about. Mike D.

Back