• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Grip Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdog

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need grips for an older brass framed 1851 Navy repo I just picked up. Only markings on it (other than Italian proofs) are "EIG Navy" on top of the barrel. Unfortunately, there seems to be some variation in grip sizes among the Italian manufacturers. So, anybody know what the best/closest fitting grip for this pistol is from those that are regularly available on-line (ASM/Pietta/Uberti/CVA)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Finding one that truly fits would be more difficult than making it yourself. I posted a tutorial about how and have had people do a dandy job their first try.
7IMG_0678 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Thanks. I'll take a look. That is a really nice looking grip. I may have to go this route, and saw that Taylors sells an oversized (rough) blank that might serve as a starting point. The lazy side of me just hoped to see if I could identify a closer match before I started on yet another project. My "guns projects" are really starting to stack up... Thanks again.

Last edited:
Nice wood and nice finish on that grip panel!!

Would getting a slightly oversized grip and modifying it to fit be a viable option?

Nice wood and nice finish on that grip panel!!

Would getting a slightly oversized grip and modifying it to fit be a viable option?
That's kinda what I was originally thinking. But I don't know which of the more common manufacturers might have used a slightly larger grip that could be reshaped. The one already roughed out blank I found on line looks promising, but just my luck something will be off just enough that it won't work.

May have to do this the hard way and start from scratch....

May have to do this the hard way and start from scratch....
I've made pistol and revolver grips from scratch, and if you have some basic wood-working skills and tools, it's not that hard. Harder if it's a one-piece, like this pictured here, and less so if it's two-piece like on typical cap 'n ball revolvers.
IMG_0132.JPG

Thanks to all who have replied. Think I'm going to take a chance on the $20 blank I found on-line. If it doesn't work I'll throw it in the parts bin and try my hand at a scratch build.

Hello, and sorry to intrude. I collect all the information I can find about EIG imported black powder replicas, and especially those made by GLB. Blackdog, would you please kindly show me pictures of your revolver, and of the markings it bears on the barrel, under the grip, and under the frame ? I would be very grateful if you did.

Hello, and sorry to intrude. I collect all the information I can find about EIG imported black powder replicas, and especially those made by GLB. Blackdog, would you please kindly show me pictures of your revolver, and of the markings it bears on the barrel, under the grip, and under the frame ? I would be very grateful if you did.
Sent you a PM.

EIG, located in Florida, was an importer of cheap firearms and later became FIE. Their black powder revolvers were made by various manufacturers so searching for any parts would be frustrating. FIE has been out of business for many years.

Man only thing out there is well make em yourself, or take a spin on the wheel of parts ASM, ASP, EIG were companies absorbed by Pietta/Uberti and CVA was only an importer so pending Year? it could be anyone of the Pietta/Uberti/ASM/ASP best I know is E bay, Traditions, VTI, Dixie Gun Works, Black Powder Emporium, one might find a blank that will need fitting or Numrich

Check out Phil Coffins tutorial, it still takes some skills and tools but compared to using a solid piece of wood and removing what you don’t need from the inside…it is the only way to go. And, you would never know that it is made from 3 pieces of wood vs one, unless you removed the grip. And, who cares, as long as it looks good when assembled.

I have made several using Phil’s method. I would not even attempt to make a grip using one solid piece of wood for a Colt replica.

Attached are two grips that I made using Phil’s method and one glued up and ready to put on the gun and shape.

The higher gloss grip is red gum eucalyptus, the matte finish one is stained maple and the unfinished one is Osage orange.
IMG_2155.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg
IMG_2158.jpeg
IMG_2157.jpeg
IMG_2156.jpeg

I need grips for an older brass framed 1851 Navy repo I just picked up. Only markings on it (other than Italian proofs) are "EIG Navy" on top of the barrel. Unfortunately, there seems to be some variation in grip sizes among the Italian manufacturers. So, anybody know what the best/closest fitting grip for this pistol is from those that are regularly available on-line (ASM/Pietta/Uberti/CVA)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your post made me curious as I remember my 80's 1860 Pietta as having the most comfortable grip of any of my percussion revolvers so I compared the 51, 60 and Walker that I had handy and the 60 feels better in my hand by far than the rest.
The 51 is really quite small even for my medium sized hands.
That three piece grip build is a great idea I had not though of with these guns that have surround grip straps. I have some Wendgai, IPa , Osage and Zebra wood that I use for bow handles that would make some really neat looking grips. I also like and have made Moose antler grips that turned out really nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back