• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Buffalo .44 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nenajungas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am concidering getting a 1858 Buffalo .44 cal 6 shot revolver. I am just wondering if any one out there has had some experience with them and how they liked them, how far were they accurate, and such. Thanks for all the info
Nenajungas

Are these the brass-framed long-barrel model? I shot a friend's last summer, it functioned well. I ended up buying a steel-framed Colt clone (I am not trying to restart and brass vs stell wars). I just liked the Colt better because I saw more of them in the Civil War museums that I had visited.

A friend let me shoot about 50 shots through his a couple of years ago. It seemed a little harder to hold steady (porbably just takes a little getting used to), but when the shots went off when I was aiming right, it was dead on! Good groups.

Due to liability laws, I'm sure the hard trigger pull is deliberate from the factory. But that can be solved easily enough.

Although I've only seen one in use at the nationals, I plan on getting one in within the next couple of years to try some serious target work and see what I can do with it.
Good luck!!!

I am finding a brass framed Remington style pistol with a 12 inch long barrel which is called a 1858 Buffalo Brass Frame Revolver .44 caliber in the 2005 Cabela's catalog for about $160.

In the same catalog I see a 1858 New Army .44 Caliber offered for about $160. This is a steel frame gun with a 7 7/8 inch barrel.

Which is best for you? IMO, that depends on what you want to do with it.
If you want to shoot it with light loads and you like the super long barrel and it's good looks go with the brass framed gun.
A lot of people don't care but I will mention that such a gun was never offered during the Civil War because there were no brass framed Remingtons made, and there were none with a 12 inch barrel but that is only important if you want a gun which was like the originals.

The reason I say "light loads" is because brass is weaker than steel and some people have damaged their brass framed guns by shooting full power loads in them.
Using light loads, these guns will shoot for a long time.

If you want a Remington that can shoot full power loads all day withuot overstressing the frame and is a fairly close recreation of the original gun, I would favor the steel framed Remington if it's still available. Especially if the price is the same.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the Buffalo pistol but the accuracy of most of the reproduction guns seems to be a matter of luck.
The closed frame Remington design is usually a bit more accurate than the open top Colt design.
That said, remember, both the Colt and the Remington pistols were made as military weapons. They were not target guns and in this, the reproductions seem to be a fairly good copy.

The one I shot was a brassy. Using light loads(I believe it was 20 grains at 25 yds) it did some nice groups. The owner just bought it to have a good looking wall hanger, but got curious and found out it shoots good. He doesn't shoot pistols that much and uses light loads, so I think he'll do very well within those confines.

The '58 buffalo I'm interested in is a stainless steel model. Can't remember the manufacturer or who's selling them. Saw it in a catalog somewhere. It might have been a brassy as well but, seems to me it wasn't. I could be very wrong there too, be about par with my IQ :redface:

Thanks. Time for me to go pick up my helpers and go to work. Gonna' be a loooong and hard day :(

Latest posts

Back