• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Rem . new army .44 cal by Uberti .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezee13

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone who has owned a 1858 rem new army by Uberti , that can tell me what they think about this pistol and how easy it is to change cylinders would be appreciated !!!!
Also,how accurate and well it shoots ?
And has anyone used a R&D conversion cylinder on this pistol ?
Big Z .

I bought one of these Uberti 1858's in the last year. Very impressed with how it shoots, once you figure out the sight picture. Unlike a lot of cap and balls, the Remington, mine at least, shoots very low. Have to use full post at 25 yrds to get POA. Changing cylinders if you had a second one would be easy, does take a little juggling to get it into the right position but, with practice this could be overcome. Have not used R&D conversion on mine. The Remington design sheds spent cap fragments far better than the Colt designs. Colts will often lock up when a hunk of cap gets into the action, rarely is this a problem with the Remington. The Remington design in general is more forgiving of fouling and less likely to lock up because of it when compared to others like the Colts of the same era. Two draw backs that I see with the Remington - most frustrating, none, or at least none that I have found, of the "cappers" can get to the nipples on the Remington's cylinder. You have to put caps on with your fingers - reallly slows down loading. Second, I strip my revolvers down for cleaning every time, the main spring on the Remington I find to be very difficult to get back into the frame. I eventually had to carve a piece of wood to fit the inside of the grip to bend the spring against to ease this operation. One other observation, #11 caps are what DGW recommends for ignition on this model. I have had 11's fall off nipples during firing - a very dangerous situation likely to cause a chain fire. I have gone to RWS 1075's and even used #10's with less problems. Suggest you test what ever caps you use by loading one cylinder, putting caps on the other five chambers empty and firing it, seeing if those other caps will stay in place.

Yes I can tell you first hand, as I am a proud owner of this gun. It is IMHO typical Uberti superior manufacture and design. The fit and finish of all parts is excellent, the trigger rivals some of the triggers on my target pistols (.22, .32 & .45). As far as cylinder changing is concerned it is typical of the Remingtons, with time and use it will release the cylinder more easily. The accuracy is just where I would want this gun to be. As far a R&D cylinders are concerned, I cannot help you with this as I am not interested in shooting cartridges. :hatsoff:

As a range instructor for PD, I decided to do that annual qualification with my uberti. Housed 2 extra cylinders in a speedloader pouch. State course had a string of 6 reload 6. The remington is great for doing tac loading, etc.

BigZ, I have two R&D cylinders for my Uberti 1858 Rem. They shoot OK but are less accurate than the original cylinder with roundballs and BP. You can only use the tame type of cowboy action loads in the R&D cylinder, no +P loads. Still, plenty of firepower.

Anyway, I am not much of a revolver shooter and bought the R&D cylinders only for backup carry and the use of snake shot. They are well-made and do what they are supposed to do. Remember to always leave one chamber empty to rest the hammer on, unless you are at a range and will shoot right away.

Steve

PS: The trigger really surprised me when I got the gun, it is as good as the trigger on some of my high zoot match rifles.

Posted this on the wrong thread!

Finally got around to lowering the front sight on my Uberti 1858- It was shooting about 12"low at 25 metres.

last group had a four shot cloverleaf, in the 9-ring, at 25 metres. Tht's as good as any of my modern pistols!

Hi Greeneck , how difficult and time consumming is it to change your R&D cylinders for your 1858 rem Uberti ?
Would you say that your 1858 Uberti with the R&D cylinder is a good target pistol ?
Big Z .

BigZ, it doesn't take me long to change cylinders on the Remington, maybe 15 seconds and I am not particularly quick. Main problem with the R&Ds is that the disk holding the firing pins comes loose pretty easily. Changing BP cylinders takes a little less time but those you have to cap after installing them.

If you want to shoot targets, stick to 3F black powder, a wonder wad and .454 roundballs in the original cylinder. That is considerably more accurate than the 45LC conversion. Don't get me wrong, this revolver with the R&D cylinder will be more than sufficient for self-defense at 20-25 feet, but it ain't no target pistol. Doesn't smell right either. And not much in terms of flames out of every opening - with the BP cylinder that is especially impressive at night.

Steve

Latest posts

Back