• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Remington Uberti vs. Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Uberti stainless steel 1858 Remington several months ago.
This is a beautiful, well constructed revolver. It's a lot of fun and It shoots well.
Yesterday I took delivery of a Pietta stainless steel 1858 Remington.
This gun is also a thing of beauty, well built and a good, accurate shooter.
Now the reason for my post: for 100 bucks less, I think the Pietta is comparable in quality to the Uberti and as such is a better value.
Just saying!

Perhaps, but the Pietta is not as close a copy as the Uberti.

The Pietta 1858s use a larger frame than both the originals and the Ubertis, making them unnecessarily heavy and bulky in comparison.

I'll keep my Uberti, as I cherish authenticity in my black powder arms.

Technically ,Earl, you're correct; the Pietta weighs 43 oz. and the Uberti weighs 41.5 oz. For me, I can't tell the diff.
As far as I can tell these guns are identical, aside from the Uberti using dovetailed sights( authentic?)
I'm not in any way knocking the Uberti, however I've read a lot of comments where folks rate Uberti higher quality than Pietta.
You should cherish your Uberti( I do mine!)
All I can say is in my eyes the quality is comparable.
I have pix but I'm too dumb to post them here.

Pietta is steady bringing up their quality and giving Uberti a run for their money.
In the 1860's the north or south would be saying thanks for either one.

Hi,
Uberti makes two different 1858's; one with a forged frame and another with a cast frame. I wonder how the Pietta (cast frame, I suspect), compares with both of the above.

It's a moot point in black powder guns.
Rugers are all cast framed , high intensity or black powder and will run a Smith and Wesson into the ground as far a strength and longevity.
I own,shoot and work on several of each brand.
All S&W revolvers have forged frames.
I do love my Smith model 29's but they will not take the pounding that a Redhawk of Super Blackhawk will.

Years ago I would have said steer clear of Pietta, not anymore. Pietta's quality now rivals that of Uberti and for the money ya can't beat it. I own a couple of each, the Piettas having been purchased over the last 5 years, matter of fact I think they're better than the 15-20 year old Uburtis I have and those are still in great shape.

I recently bought an Uberti 1858 with the 5 1/2 inch barrel and casehardened frame. It is indeed a beautifully finished revolver. As received, its action however, was a little rough. I disassembled it and found the cylinder stop and hand especially rough, with file marks on both pieces. I stoned these pieces and polished them with 2000 grit paper. Everything had always worked properly, and the action is now smooth. I have an 1860 Colt Army from Uberti that is over 30 years old, and it was slick right out of the box. I have noticed that the price of the Pietta revolvers is rising along with the quality. I guess this is as it should be, and is to be expected. I am sorry the Uberti guns do not seem to be made as well as they used to be. If I buy another cap and ball revolver in the future, it may be a Pietta. I would rather pay more and get better quality.

Latest posts

Back