• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issues with new Pietta.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, you're saying it backwards.
As the hammer is drawn back, the bolt arm is ON the hammer cam and it stays on the cam until it literally falls off. That would be "bolt drop" and shortly after that will be "full cock". When the trigger is pulled, the hammer will move forward and as it falls, the cam will push the bolt arm to the side which will allow the hammer to continue. As the hammer nears the end of its travel, the hand will select the next ratchet tooth (1st click) and then the bolt arm will snap back (2nd click) on top of the cam (reset). That is the "click sequence" of the returning hammer.

Mike

Yep, same thing different words. What I'm calling a leg dropping off the edge of the cam, you're calling the reset.

I can see how that could be confused with the other drop, when both legs fall off the entire axis as the hammer is rotated. That part of the cycle isn't important here though, David just needs to adjust the leg so that the reset happens earlier, before the hammer stops on an unfired cap. I hope we haven't confused things too much. :D

I'll make sure to call it the reset the next time I describe that part of the cycle.

This part of the cycle seems to be the most "mystical" aspect of "what goes on" in a Colts action cycle.

45D strikes again! That action on the bolt and the Pin is almost impossible to see and how and why it works the way it does, well I think you have to have a 3D or 45D brain, I sure do not.

Regardless he clearly knows his stuff and I consider it fortunate for us and happy he can make a living fixing those things (and telling us how and if we can't do it, send it to him!)

I do pay attention to the verbiage as its an extremly critical part of making sure we are all talking about the same thing.

I was off base, at one time I was calling a bolt retraction (reset) a drop, mentally it made sense, you don't drop things up. But, I am 150+ years behind those who invented all that and they get to set the terms and I spent a lot of years adjusting to terms that may not have set right with my mind but huge confusion if I did not change my end.

Last edited:
What I'm calling a leg dropping off the edge of the cam, you're calling the reset.

No sir. A "leg" or "arm" dropping off the cam is called "BOLT DROP" because THAT'S when the bolt head (the ball) literally drops onto the cylinder. It's the second click when cycling the hammer back.

RESET is when the "leg" or "arm" snaps back over the cam just before the hammer comes to a stop on the nipple. It's called "RESET" because that is LITERALLY what the "leg" or "arm" is doing . . . it is "springing" itself back on top of the cam so that the cam can pick up the "leg" or "arm" for the next time the hammer is cycled.

SO, "DROP" happens when the hammer is being pulled back.
"RESET" happens just before the hammer is all the way forward

It's two different events that happen depending on which way the hammer is going.

You can't just call an action "event" something other than what it is or THAT is what causes CONFUSION. You can't call a "trigger" a "bolt" and expect folks to understand what you're talking about. "The leg dropping off" isn't anything close to "reset".

I can see how that could be confused with the other drop, when both legs fall off the entire axis as the hammer is rotated.

What "other" drop? There's only 1 drop. It's when the bolt "leg" or "arm" DROPS off the cam (not "legs" or "arms" as only the left one is being lifted by the cam. The right "leg" or "arm" just maintains tension for the left "leg" or "arm" to stay in contact with the hammer).

David just needs to adjust the leg so that the reset happens earlier, before the hammer stops on an unfired cap. I hope we haven't confused things too much. :D

This part of your statement is correct and is what all of this lengthy posting has been leading to . . . correcting the problem.

The CONFUSION part comes into play when "parlance" ( what "parts" /"events" are called ) isn't adhered to. Imagine what it would be like in the Colt factory if half the folks thought "bolt drop" was the same as "reset" . . .

Mike

Back