• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 922

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an ASM 1860 Army that I've been shooting for about 10 years until the parts wore out. I actually hit a few things now and then, and it has become my favorite BP or modern handgun. It just feels right.

About a week ago I had the opportunity to purchase a Uberti 1860 Army. I was really pleased with the quality and can't wait to shoot it. One thing bothers me though and I was wondering if anyone else would agree or tell me that it's my imagination. The grips on the Uberti 1860 Army are wrong.

I pulled down my R. L. Wilson Colt book and noticed that the 1860 grips are slightly (but noticably) different than the Dragoons or Navy models. There is more of a reverse curve down the front (behind the trigger guard) and a slightly different shape at the back. I believe that ASM duplicated this shape but the Uberti grips look just like the Navy model.

The issue is more than aesthetic. The 1860 grips have a wonderful feel that is missing somewhat on the Uberti rendition. It's one of those unique things that make that pistol so nice to hold. It's amazing how well they applied ergonomics to that gun and ASM (in my opinion) did a better job in capturing that shape. Could it be that Uberti was doing a little "value engineering" and combined the Navy, Dragoon and 1860 grips thinking no one would notice. Or am I breathing too much sulphur.

Eric

The top two photos are originals and the bottom is an Uberti replica. As you can see there is a slight difference so you are not imagining it. Do you have a photo of your old one?

1860.jpg

Was your ASM manufactured 1860 Army a brass frame or steel framed version? The reason I ask, is that about 8 or 9 yrs ago, I bought an ASM 1860 Colt Army with brass frame and it had the exact same grips as the ASM 1851 Colt Navy.

The "4-screw" steel frame 1860 Colt Army guns are "cut" for a shoulder stock (there's a little indentation at the heel of the backstrap--at the bottom rear of the grips).

Those extra large head screws stick out, one(1) on each side of the frame--so that the Vee shaped cutouts on the shoulder stock have a contact point on each side of the frame.

There is a knob operated screw that turns a "mating piece" into that indentation on the bottom of the backstrap. This lets you tighten the stock up on the pistol so that it shouldn't move around.

Those "4-screw" steel frame models also have a longer (taller?) grip shape and generally fit persons with larger hands (like myself) much, much better than the smaller shorter grip of the '51 Navy and the brass framed Army. That bigger grip is kind of like a plow handle. Some of these vary between manufacturers and look as though they have a "humbacked shape" in some instances.

Just about every brass framed '60 Army I've ever seen has the same "3-screw" frame as their '51 Navy model. I reckon they probably do this to cut down expense and setup for casting.

Some variants look like they just made a larger version of the same grip shape, while some actually have that "humpbacked" look/feel--and they also "flare out" more noticeably at the bottom.

I don't think ASM is even producing guns any more... I could be wrong on that, but haven't seen anything from them lately.

I hope you are able to locate a model that fits you most suitably. If you are unhappy with the Uberti, PM me about it, rather than continuing discussion here.

Shoot Safely!
wV_Hillbilly

The ASM 1860 is a steel frame model (4 screw). The Uberti is a 4 screw also.

I have the ASM apart but can do a digital photo of the grips along with the Uberti. I'll post it tonight.

That would be great, it's been a long time since I've seen a "4-screw" steel frame ASM '60 Army. I appreciate that.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :thanks:

Here are the two revolvers. The top one is the Armi San Marco that I've had since '92 (I had it apart and loosely assembled it for the picture).

I think ASM did a better job at duplicating the 1860 Army grip shape than Uberti - which is a shame since they make such nice products. There is definitely a difference in how they feel.

Eric
XGrips.jpg

I just finished a project involving this very issue. I purchased and original 1860 Colt made of miss matched parts between 1861 and 1863, The back strap that came with it was pitted heavily and it had been filed way under sized. Rather than building up the old back strap with a lot of weld, I ordered an Uberti made backstrap from VTI. https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/

I used the original wooden grip and re drilled all the holes in the back strap to fit American standard, and it fit as though it was made for the gun. I did grind a little of the bottom horn, rounding it more to the shape of the original.

After articially aging and pitting the metal using Cholrine bleach, I used some old left over nitric acid rust brown solution to finish it. One could not tell that it is a modern replacement.

Back