• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt Cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The 1860 Colt comes with two different cylinders - fluted and belted. Which is better or is there a difference at all in performance? I have aline on a good price on a fluted model (Uberti - new) but, wanted to hear some opinions about that design before I made the purchase.

I think the fluting was done only to lighten it a bit - and I don't think you will see any difference in performance unless you just like the feel over the full-round style.

The 1860 Colt comes with two different cylinders - fluted and belted. Which is better or is there a difference at all in performance? I have aline on a good price on a fluted model (Uberti - new) but, wanted to hear some opinions about that design before I made the purchase.

I've never seen much difference-having had both kinds of cylinders over the last 20 some years. I don't have one currently to give you up to the minute report, but from my past experiences with them, I doubt you'll see anything significantly different. Is the fluted model you are looking at buying have that real bright charcoal blueing, or the darker blackish, blueing? The charcoal blueing will scar up quicker in some instances, but if you let it wear evenly, it will look like it's been antiqued and seem more like an original.

Regardless of the cylinder type, if it's a good price, you ought to go for it. The 1860 is the best balanced cap-n-ball (IMHO) that there is available. I think you'll really enjoy shooting it, as it points like it was part of you. Heck it's fun just to hold it for that matter.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS Are you familiar with shooting cap-n-ball revolvers, or is this your first gun? How 'bout your first 1860?

The blueing is supposed to be deep blue. It is probably the one that you are referring to. As for cap'n balls, I have several that I have shot over the past couple of years. Really got into these in the last year of so, presently have a Walker and 1858 Remington by Uberti and a Ruger OA - never had an 1860 Army. Once I get this one I am through buying new revolvers for a while - at least that is what the wife is told. :crackup:

Back