• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 colt replacement barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuursoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i've got an 1861 colt navy in .36, but it's got a flaw in the bore, right where the sight post hole was drilled. i don't know yet how this affects accuracy, but better safe than sorry, i suppose.

you guys would know best in here, but where can i get a replacement for a fair price?

right now the best(read: only) i've found is at dixie, for about 115. doesn't seem totally unreasonable on the face of it, aside from the fact that i can pick up a kit or new(depending on where i go) for as little as 200$US.

for reference, it's a euroarms replica(it also doesn't seem they make them anymore), in the mid-5000's serial number.

i'd rather not replace the barrel because of matching serial numbers all around, but if i had to, i can keep the original around.

it's replace it or have the barrel reamed out and turned into a smoothbore shot pistol.

Its not uncommon for these replicas to have sights that were drilled too deep, and therefore either put a dimple into the barrel, or actually have a hole in the barrel under the sight!

This is not an Olympic Grade target shooting revolver!

Don't try to make this "Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse!"

Just shoot it. There are so many other things wrong with these guns that affect their accuracy- that you don't know about- that this is the least of your problems. If you can hit a rabbit sized target at 10 yards, you have a better than average gun. As you gain more experience, and continue to read this forum to expand your knowledge, you will begin to understand your gun's limitations.

We've given you many suggestions on how to repair it, but I guess you don't believe us.

wasn't asking for suggestions for repair, if you'd actually read the post, i was looking into replacement barrels and other suppliers.

as a just in case.

but hey, reading is overrated, don't feel bad.

"...but hey, reading is overrated, don't feel bad. "
-----------

Not a very good way to make friends, if I do say so myself.

Just send your check to Dixie Gunworks and they will fix you right up.
Of course, you might find that the two pins that position the barrel aren't quite the right size or they may not be in quite the right place.

If that happens, get a jewelers file... Oh, wait, seems we've been here before. :hmm:

Zonie said:
"...but hey, reading is overrated, don't feel bad. "
-----------

Not a very good way to make friends, if I do say so myself.

Just send your check to Dixie Gunworks and they will fix you right up.
Of course, you might find that the two pins that position the barrel aren't quite the right size or they may not be in quite the right place.

If that happens, get a jewelers file... Oh, wait, seems we've been here before. :hmm:

oh, how funny you are, assuming i'm not going to be using any files.

i take it your persona is one of a mountain man who has no time for 'them silly city folk'?

perhaps, had some thought been employed, you might have realized that i'm covering my bases out of curiosity? that maybe i'm doing a cost/benefit analysis?

and i'm not here for friends, i'm here for info. i've gotten about 95% of what i need. oddly, i had almost 80% before i even joined...

and thank you, for confirming that dixie is about the best deal around. granted, that seems a little steep for just a barrel, but hey, at least i have the option.

Well pardon us for wasting your time, fella. Why don't you find some other sand box to play in, because we sure are getting tired of your attitude here.

I had an old Euroarms .36 Navy Colt. The hole for the front sight was drilled through into the barrel. I ended up replacing the sight with something taller. The hole didn't affect the accuracy of the revolver.

Well, you did say you'd rather not replace the barrel--something to do with matching numbers. I guess where you come from good manners are over rated or perhaps non-existent? I'm sure by now some of us have a few suggestions on what you could do with your barrel, but we are well mannered gentlemen and refrain from uttering such crudities. :v

and i'm not here for friends, i'm here for info. i've gotten about 95% of what i need. oddly, i had almost 80% before i even joined...
You smart guy...... :haha:

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
I had an old Euroarms .36 Navy Colt. The hole for the front sight was drilled through into the barrel. I ended up replacing the sight with something taller. The hole didn't affect the accuracy of the revolver.

single most helpful post yet!

Well, I'm glad you found a helpful post.

Sorry to hear that you aren't "here for friends...".
Most of us have found that being friendly to helpful friendly people is a good way to receive good answers.

You have had over 20 replies to your questions on this and your other post about the same issue which leads me to believe you must believe your own comment, :reading is overrated".
May I suggest that you use the link below to review the things that have been suggested?
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/231290/

Last edited by a moderator:
pom-pom said:
wasn't asking for suggestions for repair, if you'd actually read the post, i was looking into replacement barrels and other suppliers.

No you weren't. You stated:

pom-pom said:
i'd rather not replace the barrel because of matching serial numbers all around

That tells me that you were looking for a solution to the flaw. Several posted that it should not affect accuracy, and you got a crappy attitude as evidenced by this:

pom-pom said:
but hey, reading is overrated, don't feel bad.

If you don't want to make friends here, that is fine. But do you really want to go to the opposite extreme and make enemies? That is the path that you have started down with manure like that.

Now to try to help you with your problem. If you want to keep it numbers matching, I see two alternatives - one of which is not ethical. First, you can cut off the end of the barrel at the sight, redrill to install the sight and then recrown and reblue the barrel. This keeps you with the numbers matching barrel. Be aware that you too could impart a flaw during this operation, so measure twice (or more) and modify once. The other option is to get the other barrel, file off the serial number, restamp it and reblue to match. The replacement barrel is likely to have the flaw as well.

I have 3 revolvers of various makes, and none of them have the flaw you indicated. Even if they did, I would shoot them and determine if work was NEEDED before I came on this board and began behaving like in a boorish manner.

To come here insulting the very people who are trying to help you, just because they aren't giving you the answers you wanted is uncalled for. And yet, even after insulting them, these nice folks are still trying to help you. I'd have told you to pound sand. Since you've gotten 75% of what you came for in a little over a week, maybe we'll get lucky and you'll get the last 25% in a few days and be off.

You got some good advice. Try shooting the thing to see if you even need to fix it. I have a modern pistol chambered in a rifle round that has a big flaw in the rifling. I had figured to just rebarrel it. After shooting it, I realized that it shoots great. It picks up a little copper fouling in the flaw, but I can live with that.

Plink said:
Since you've gotten 75% of what you came for in a little over a week, maybe we'll get lucky and you'll get the last 25% in a few days and be off.

Think you're right.
Gutenacht.gif

:yakyak: I thought this thread was somehow a repeat, where I had added a simple solution to said "problem."I suppose some people don't like responses that suggest work, made obvious by the "looking for a new barrel." :surrender:

Latest posts

Back