• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield Civil War for deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toupiny

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone of you gentlemen used a .69 cal with a Minié ball for Deer hunting?

Just inquiring on a potential next purchase.

Thanks

An 1861 Springfield would be a .58 caliber, I have hunted with a .58 Zouave rifle occasionally but have not taken a deer with it.

I've used original 1842(.69 cal) and 1863(.58 cal) rifled muskets for deer and had success with both. For the .69 I use
a semi wadcutter minie sized .686 and 70 gr of 2F. The .58 has an oversize bore and needs a .585 Minie and 60 gr 2F. In both cases the buck took several steps and fell over.

Duane

blackelm said:
Duane--What is the source for the semi-wadcutter Mini you're using?

Thanks

Rapine made my mould but he's out of business. Moose moulds is making them now. Their stuff is top shelf. If you're shooting an Armi 1842 with the oversize bore that most of them have, you can get a .695 from him. As of now he's not making sizing dies, but you can get one from North EastTrade Co. 570-546-2061. www.moosemoulds.wix.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Your totally right, its a .58 cal, sorry for the mistake.

Since I am snooping around for my next acquisition I mixed up the gun with another of .69 cal.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back