• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 CS Richmond Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here goes a newby question...I just traded for a Armi-Sport 1862 CS Richmond musket...A really good looking piece...Now what I need to know is it a very good shooter and I know it appears to be very well made, but that can be decieving...

I am more of a shooter than a re-enactor and if anyone has any information on how these shoot and perform or what I need to know about how to make them shoot...Also if the rifle shoots right or left of center, what is the best way to correct the problem?

Thanks for any help or information

Hilljack

You have a friend, here on the forum. I love to shoot, but I do not get into reenacting. I use the period clothing simply because I feel a little goofy with a Civil War cartridge box slung across my body while wearing a pair of jeans. Now, on to your rifle. I have not seen your rifle, but I think that CS Richmond Rifles, in general, are beautiful. I also think that they really represent the resolve of the Confederacy in making an effort to produce arms. As far as your rifle is concerned, you will have to just try it and see. No two rifles shoot exactly alike. Don't role cartridges, yet. Bring your powder and ammo the range. Through trial and error you will have to work up a load. It has been my experience that large caliber civil war rifle muskets are not flat shooting at all. A given load will usually hit at different places at different distances. I have a 50 yard load and a 100 yard load. Just take it out and try. Good luck and have fun.

Hilljack said:
Here goes a newby question...
what I need to know about how to make them shoot...Hilljack

A deceptively simple question that generates volumes of debate. Here's my 2 cents' worth:

1. Pure, soft lead minies, preferably Lyman old or new style, sized one or two thousanths under bore size;

2. Good lube properly applied (I like MCM from North East Trade Co., 570.546.2061)

3. Powder charge of 45 grains 3f, plus or minus a grain or three, depending on your rifle's taste.

4. Percussion caps of your choice - but once you make that choice, stick with it. Changing caps most likely will change point of impact.

Having obtained a sufficient number of minies, experiment with various powder charges until you find the one that groups at your preferred range. Get the group first, then adjust the sights (files and drills) to move the group where you want it.

Much trial and error involved here, but be patient. It's a fine rifle by birthright; it will perform for you IF you are patient and discover what load it wants.

I'm curious, how does different percusion caps change the point of impact? Any idea how much it will throw it off?

Thanks to all for the response...and the sage advice...

As for the caps...yes they can change a the impact point and if you do any Chrono work they will usually show a wide spread on the velocities, I know it is very evident with regular percussion and here again it is trail and error...

The weapon is very beautiful...I have in my hands two molds...One is the old Lyman steel and the other is the Lee mold for what appears to be a wad cutter, so far the wad cutter is in the lead, but I am going to make up some "LUBE" from a mix told to me on this board...and that being 8 to 1 basically beeswax to crisco and then away we go for the next round...

I found out the twist is 1-66" which is a fair round ball twist...now to see what shoots the best...I will keep you posted if your interested...

Thanks again

Hilljack

I monitor the NSSA forum cause those guys are very familiar with the 58 caliber and the Italian reproductions. A lot of these guns shoot to the left out of the box. The sights don't allow for windage. They recommend 2 things. Use kentucky windage or resolder the sight closed and re-grind it to the direction needed. I've noticed with my Euroarms 1858 Enfield that the ladder sight isn't straight and goes to the left a tad.
I've never had good luck with a PRB, Minnies seem to shoot better out of my 48'twist barrel.
Yours is a good looking gun and someday i would like to own one myself.
Enjoy shooting!

if yall are interested in shooting these civil war muskets (as i am), i'd highly recommend looking for a local n-ssa group to join. my experience has been that most of the folks in the n-ssa are more interested in shooting the old guns than in reenacting. on the other hand, you can be as serious about reenacting as you want to be with the uniform and firearm you choose. it's a hoot

Thanks for the information...and I will check on the NSSA and see what they say...I like to compete in all sorts of muzzleloader shooting and this is one that is required for overall competition...

Boy isn't that interesting that most shoot to the left out of the box....Well I'll post back from time to time...

Hilljack

A lot of these guns need a taller front sight to dial it in at 50 yards.......Some people on the NSSA install a taller front sight and then solder or JB Weld a thin strip of metal to the back of the rear sight leaf and cut a new notch to correct windage if the original front sight is OK.....Plus some of those fellers will drill a peep hole in one of the other rear sight leaves to match up with the new taller front sight for 50 yard shooting..............Bob

Back