• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Springfield Smoothbore Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
siege museum is in need of some repair unfortunately,

not sure if it is a City or State group, but either way when I was there a few months ago things were a bit shabby, hopefully they will get some funding and get back in shape

Blanford is not to far away, near the Crater battleground,

if you ever come across those links please let us know, I would like to get some more detail for my brother's SCV camp, they like to look into that sort of thing,

(I am a member of the Richmond Chapter, SAR)

my Father was Ord in the USAR, and worked on the MAIT team at Lee before he retired,

Concerning wad sizing, Circle Fly Wads are sized from .010" over bore diameter for 28ga to .018 over for 4ga. I think their 17ga wads (.659") should be fine for your piece. Insufficiently oversize and/or insufficiently thick (depends on the material & diameter) wads can produce gas leakage, especially if your bore is less than perfect. FWIW, I've use home-punched wads up to .025" over bore (depending on what punch I had available) in my 16ga without difficulty in loading.

Good luck with all of this.
Joel

satx78247 said:
NOT off-hand. = I'm sure that The Siege Museum will have a list of the various "PACSA contractors" & "for the asking". = When we lived there the volunteer/professional staff was quite helpful to visitors & responsive to that sort of request.

yours, satx

well,

googled several different keywords and got nothing on any side having an armory in P'burg,

would hazard a guess that there was some behind the lines type work done, but doubtful if it was beyond basic repairs,

IIRC P'burg was more of a transportation hub, than industry, (tho there was some industry in the area)

Rather than "googling" anything with any "key-words" or "search terms", why NOT call the curator of the Siege Museum & ASK for the information?
(Hardly anybody pays for "long distance calls" any more, so Internet searches are "inferior in every way" to PERSONAL communication.)

Fwiw, MOST of the civilian contractors for the PACSA were "small businesses" & even the so-called "large manyfacturing firms" like those in Daingerfield, TX (that are considered to be a "major producer" of wagons, harness, saddles, tack & horseshoes) were SMALL when compared to Northern industries of similar sorts.
(I find it somewhat fascinating how much work that was actually done by "newly organized" 1-5 person shops for The True Cause. - For example a small group of women, who usually had 5-10 volunteers & probably never numbered more than 20-25 women/girls, in Seguin, TX were "officially celebrated by" The Texas Legislature in the 1880s for their "great & valuable contributions to The Cause of Southron Liberty during the late war" for making Minie balls by hand for the TX forces.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Rather than "googling" anything with any "key-words" or "search terms", why NOT call the curator of the Siege Museum & ASK for the information?
(Hardly anybody pays for "long distance calls" any more, so Internet searches are "inferior in every way" to PERSONAL communication.)

Fwiw, MOST of the civilian contractors for the PACSA were "small businesses" & even the so-called "large manyfacturing firms" like those in Daingerfield, TX (that are considered to be a "major producer" of wagons, harness, saddles, tack & horseshoes) were SMALL when compared to Northern industries of similar sorts.
(I find it somewhat fascinating how much work that was actually done by "newly organized" 1-5 person shops for The True Cause. - For example a small group of women, who usually had 5-10 volunteers & probably never numbered more than 20-25 women/girls, in Seguin, TX were "officially celebrated by" The Texas Legislature in the 1880s for their "great & valuable contributions to The Cause of Southron Liberty during the late war" for making Minie balls by hand for the TX forces.)

yours, satx

thanks for the lecture , :yakyak:

they are closed tonight, (Sunday after 7pm,,,,)

busy this week, probably wont call anyway, since it is only 20 minutes away,,,, be easier to stop by after having a delicious lunch in the area,

I'll do that sometime after Thanksgiving,,,, may even run by Violet Bank while in the area, need to exercize the DSLR a bit anyway....

Latest posts

Back