• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkvd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All

Just picked up a Miruko 1863 SF $350.00,anyway to me it looks like a combination Enfield and Springfield. Can anyone provide a brief history
of this rifle,it would seem that by this time during the civil war,a breech loading rifle ala
Snider should have been in developement rather
than another mass production muzzle loader. :hmm:

Cheers,Rob

The 1863 wasn't a new design, it was a revision of the 1861.

The '61 was made by numerous contractors as well as Springfield (Harper's Ferry was in CSA hands and SA couldn't meet demand by themselves). Some of the contractors, Colt in particular, made some changes to the design, and some of these changes were incorporated into the M1863.

The '61 hammer retained the hoop-shape to clear the Maynard primer on the M1855; the '63 went back to the traditional S-shape. Also, the cleanout screw was dropped and the bolster shortened so it was flush with the lockplate (I'm told that constant removal/installation of the screw tended to weaken the threads, to the point that the screw would blow out upon firing - to the detriment of the soldier in position directly to the shooter's right).

The first version of the M1863 dropped the band springs in favor of screw-clamping bands, but the springs were reincorporated later in the run. There are also allegedly differences in the rear sight - seems like the first M1863 kept the M1861's three-leaf, and the second version just had a single leaf - but I'm not certain.

The Miroku repro is kind of a mismash of features. It's got band springs, but a two-leaf (IIRC) rear sight.

nkvd said:
Just picked up a Miruko 1863..... it would seem that by this time during the civil war,a breech loading rifle ala Snider should have been in developement
The British trials that led to the adoption of the Snider did not commence until 1864. It was not until 1866 that the Snider action was adopted as the means of converting the muzzle-loading Enfield to a breech-loading rifle.

David

The Allin conversion was the breech loading adaptation of the Springfield 1863 2nd Model. Some call it the Trapdoor and a lovely rifle it is! :thumbsup:

Hello All

My actually has only one leaf with a peep hole in the center,maybe an early production Miruko?
But it does have the band springs. :wink:

Cheers,Rob

Usually, if you see a peep hole on a Rifled Musket sight it indicates the previous owner liked peep sights and he was shooting at a 50 yard range so he added it.

If there is no V notch in the blade, there is a good chance that he also removed the old sight leaf so he could add his peep hole.

Thanks for the info,but the V is there,I dunno
but Im just gonna enjoy it as is............ :thumbsup:

Rob

My second model '63 has two leaves and the tallest has a hole half way up it. Every one I've ever seen has the rear sight made this way.

Latest posts

Back