• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th century colonial rifle calibers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We have had several discussions here and on other boards about the typical or average rifle caliber for given time frames of our history (e.g., see posts below on mid 1700s). We have also had discussions on the 'reduction' of average bore size through time, which is generally true east of the Miss R. I have seen statements that the typical Rev War rifle shot a .40-something ball, etc....Well, I decided to do a little research. In the past I have collected stats on hundreds of flintlock rifles and found the average caliber to be near .48 +/-, but these were collected without regard to age...There is a large spread of calibers, .28 to .75, generally. We do have a source of data to study: the Shumway Rifles of Colonial America, volumes 1 and 2. Here are well over 100 of the earliest colonial American rifles plus some European analogs. Shumway illustrates these guns and gives the vital stats, such as caliber for all but a few. He also 'dates' them approximately, generally into classes such as 'third quarter of the 18th century' (i.e., 1750-1775), occasionally getting more precise and rarely a gun has a firm date, such as the 1761 Schreit rifle. 108 of these rifles have both caliber and 'dating' associated with them: 47 fall into the 1750-1775 group and 61 into the 1775-1790s group. Here are my results:
1750-1775: aver caliber = 0.566, 60% in the .50-
.59 class, 28% in the .60-.69 class,
10% in the .40-.49 class, one .72
1775-1799: aver caliber = 0.516, 51% in the .50-
.59 class, 38% in the .40-.49 class,
10% in the .60-.69 class, one .72
Soooo, we see some trends. First, the majority of all F&I War through early Federal period guns shown have bores larger than .50 and .50-something would be a typical caliber. Second, there is a slight reduction in bore size from the 3rd to 4th quarter of the 18th century. I am sure that if I broke down my other stats into early 1800s rifles I would see a further reduction in those east of the Miss R. The .50s still dominate in the latter part of the 18th century, but the .40s are gaining. These are factual data. You may quibble with the sample (best there is available) or with Shumway's dates for a few guns (not enough to change the results much). You may argue that they all were enlarged over the years (I sincerely doubt that most were, and simple freshening does not materially alter the bore size and would only minutely change the stats). So, there you have it. P.S., Shumway threw in a few European rifles, and the 10 Germanic ("Jaeger") rifles shown typically range 0.56-0.70, except for one oddball 0.44.

Let me just emphasize one thing about the stats above, in the rifles studied, 90% of those made in the 3rd quarter of the 18th century were over .50 caliber! In the 4th quarter, 62% were over .50 caliber. None were under .40 in either group (108 total rifles). Just for fun, the grand average of all 108 rifles is 0.538!!! So you can pick a .54 rifle and be perfectly at home in the 18th century!

Just a thought,but do You think that that because black powder made locally was less potent than that mfg.here after 1750, decreased the need for large bores to get killing power.This could be part of the reasons bores tended to decrease in size.Also economics would have played a part.Less powder and ball per shot = more shots per pound.

Thanks for doing our homework, Mike! Your information is extremely interesting to me, and it more than adequately answers my query posted here earlier last week. Many Thanks - Marc

Pretty sure this was covered here or elsewhere but folks guess that calibers became smaller over time in the east as big game became less common and folks turned more to small game. Somebody had a great post indicating large calibers followed the frontier, made a lot of sense to me.

Excellent work, Mike thank you for taking the time and effort that went into that post.

I was leafing through a Flayderman's guide tonight and found his description of the 1790's contract rifles specified a caliber in the range of .50" - .60". I thought that might reflect what calibers were common at that time. Unfortunately there was no data available for rifles pertaining to any individual rifles that would indicate what the gunmakers chose to build.

I do have to get a copy of that book though.

Atta go MIKE...
Thanks for the information. My baby will be glad she in period (50 cal. Baby). I suspect that after the rev war that a lot of guns went civilian... Through hook or by crook, The Military was fond of "BIG" cal. The civilian actually liked the smaller 45 to 50... Is that what I have read into the findings?
My Best to yea, and thanks again Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Howdy Rich, :agree: I have thought this over myself over the years and come up with the same answer or theory. The big bores followed the frontier whether east to west or 1750 Fullstock flintlock to 1850 halfstock percussion. Around 53 or 54 cal seems to be the average or common frontier caliber.
Don :front:

Good work, Mike. It confirms what a lot of us longrifle student have suspected for some time.I did the same checking a couple of years ago on a lesser number of rifles and came to much the same conclusions.
Tom Patton :agree:

The great caliber question. In my limited research of the FI thru Rev period I have been enlightened into the fact that the major fur/hide export of that time was whitetail deer hides. Due to expanding populations the deer required longer and longer shots for harvesting. (Who would have thought that?) Hence more and more of a move toward rifled barrels also. Due to the size of the game the larger caliber was dictated which would account for the high percentage of .50+ calibers. Just prior to and after the Revolution the depleted # of whitetails and associated factors lessened the need for the larger calibers. This and the change toward harvesting smaller game for self/family use influenced the decrease in caliber size to a majority being under .50 caliber. Not until earlier in the 1900s did there become much of a demand for many rifles over .45 IMO due to a comeback of people wanting to "go back in time" that enjoy big game hunting.

It makes sense, if you go after smaller game to feed the family why use something that would knock down a deer or bear. Shoot sumthin smaller and save your resources. :m2c: :imo: :results:

Deer weren't the only, or even the largest game on the colonial frontier. Bison ranged far east of the Mississippi river and carabou, in colonial times, ranged as far south as New England.

The last buffalo was killed in KY in 1792. We used to be covered with them.

Back