• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Flintlock & 1st Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I normally Bow Hunt, but decided to give black powder a try since I hunt Wheeler Refuge in north Alabama. I purchased a 54 cal. Great Plains Hunter a few weeks ago. On my third trip to the timber I harvested my first Flintlock trophy, a nice plump spike. I have killed several big bucks with my bow, but I'm hooked on the Flintlock. What a thrill!! I plan on posting a pic of my flinter and buck soon.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of flintlocks. I have a .54 GPR flinter I just love, but had no luck this year. Congradulations and ROLL TIDE!!

Congrats on the deer and the new flinter.I had forgotten about flintlocks being legal on Wheeler WMA. I'm from just across the river close White Oak. Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

I grew up hunting Wheeler with my dad, who is a blackpowder fanatic. We moved to Louisiana years ago, but I still make a yearly trip back to Wheeler for a flintlock hunt. Got a brother who lives in Decatur still, so I even get a free place a to stay for a week. Love hunting that refuge.

Back