• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st flintlock deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be ashamed! We have all shot a little at one at one time or another. Years ago while sitting on an old rock fence; two does came trotting in from my right. The larger was out ahead and they ran behind a thick, squatty pine. When they came out the other side I was ready. Trouble is they switched places and I shot the smaller with a .50 PRB from a CVA Mountain Rifle. Never saw so much blood from a wound. Anyway they eat reeeeal good(and fast). Anyway; that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Congrats!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

When I first started elk hunting, I was tip-toeing through some black timber with my uncle. We were moving really slow. If you're not familiar with black timber, they call it that because you can't see. We've snuck up on many elk that way. I looked to my left, and there was the head of a cow elk. I had a cow tag. I tried to get my uncle's attention, I even whistled softly, but he couldn't hear me and kept moving, He did'nt see the cow. So I put my scope on her neck right below her chin and let her have it. It turned out to be a calf. The best eatin'. And my uncle almost had a heart attack.

Mike, similar story for my first elk kill. I had a cow tag and could only hunt the last day of the season due to a raging snowstorm that lasted for days. Decided to call it quits and walk back to the truck to drive home when a bunch of elk started darting across an opening in front of me. From my point of view, it seemed like they were waiting to take turns to run across the opening, and I just couldn't get on one in time. I put the sights of my .54 in the middle of the opening and was ready in case there was another one to jump across. One more came across, and I quickly saw "no horns" and pulled the trigger on the front of her chest. She dissapperared but walked right back into the opening and stood there for a few seconds before she fell over. Perfect pass-through lung shot, but when I saw her standing there, I could see that she was just a baby.

What really made me feel bad was how her mother circled around and walked up to about 30 feet from me as I was reloading, and just stared at me with a look on her face that said "What did you do to my kid?", and she wouldn't go away! I had to yell at her to get her to move, so I could get those accusing eyes off me :( .

Anyway, the calf was about big deer size, didn't even have ivories yet, but soon my personal feelings of guilt faded to feelings of pride, especially since it was my first elk. Like others have said, they are all trophies when you take them with a traditional ML. And yes, she tasted fantastic. Bill

second of the year,did not get to take a picture in the woods so i had to do it at the camp.

DSC_8910.jpg

BK... double congrats!...Flinters are just plain fun! Thanks for sharing!

Back