• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Muzzleloader -- New Cabela's or Used T/C?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie. A friend recently introduced me to blackpowder with his T/C Hawken and I loved the experience. Big smoke. Big boom. Big ol' fun.

I don't hunt, but I found a local ml club where they shoot rb only at 50 yards (most meets). The sky's the limit, as long as its traditional, no scopes and roundball.

Everything I've read so far points to a percussion Hawkins as the best introductory gun. That's fine with me. The question is which one. Funds are limited. I could probably slip a purchase past my wife for about a month, but it's too cold to have to sleep in the shed. Again.

So I went to the toy chest to see what I could part with to help finance this. I hate to see it go, but I'm putting my 30-meter, Olympic-style air pistol, an IZH-M46 with Red Dot, as well as accessories, on the block. Folks familiar with competition airguns know these things are tack drivers, capable of one-hole groups at 30 feet (The gun is. Sadly, I am not.) Three-way adjustable trigger, pneumatic so you don't have to fuss with CO2 or air tanks, and incredible balance. When my kids were little, I could rarely get to the range, so that crazy-looking Russian gun helped satisfy the shooting itch many weekends and evenings. Photos available upon request. OK, enough with the sales pitch. Back to advice.

I'm not the handiest guy in town (people no longer point at my house as they drive past, but they do still shake their heads), so a kit is probably not a good idea. At the club there was a definite preference for T/C, and I really liked the trigger on my friend's .50 cal. On the other hand, I've heard from folks with a lot of ml experience that the Cabela's guns are just fine, and in fact are a good deal.

So any opinions? Are the two guns comparable? What does TC offer that Cabela's doesn't? Is Cabela's trigger as sweet as T/C's?

Which would you do in my shoes: buy a used T/C and take your chances, or buy the new Cabela's? If the answer is used, what are the key factors to check to avoid buying someone else's headache?

Oh, and if...um...anyone is interested in a trade...?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry for being so longwinded.

Although I have never owned a T/C, I have heard nothing but good things about their guns. A bore light to check the barrel and making sure that the lock works properly, lines up good with the nipple, secure helf cock, set trigger works and trigger is crisp would be what I would look at. You can use one of those foam ear plugs over the nipple to test firing and fit so as not to hurt the nipple. I do own a Cabela's hawken, percussion, and think it is a great gun. Accurate, well made and not too expensive. T/C guarantees their guns forever and are very good at fixing any problems that might come up, from what I've heard. Cabela's will replace your gun if it arrives with a problem but I am not sure about later on. I have had mine for three years and shoot it quite a bit and have never had a problem. (knock on wood)Just my 2cents. :v

I have a cabelas hawkin 54 cal.It is a good shooting rifle.Beware of used rifles you dont know if the previous owner cleaned it properly or often enough.I looked at some at a pawn shop and every one of them had rust in the barrel.Talk to the guys at that bp club maybe they can stear you in the right dirrection.Cabelas rifle is a good one.

I'd go with the used T/C, if it was me. Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and darned fine guns, to boot. Just make sure the bore is perfect. Some folks aren't as careful about cleaning as they should be. I recently bought two guns on an auction site that supposedly had perfect bores, and one had a ring in the barrel and the other was nearly rusted shut. If this is your first muzzleloader, have it checked out by someone experienced with black powder firearms, just to be sure.

In good condition, the T/C, even used, is the better buy, IMO.
Good luck!

Nothing wrong with Cabelas/Investarm guns, I've got 2 and like them both. They both shoot pretty darn well. T/C does have a better gaurantee.

My first gun was a Cabelas Hawkens made by Investarms in .54 cal. Very good gun never had a problem still use it today. 6 year old.

With that said, I'd probably buy a T/C for the same reason posted by the others. Lifetime warrantee and from what I hear a quality gun.

Lymans are good rifles also.I have a 54 cal that was a kit.Some parts needed to be fitted but it is a real good shooter.Taking it out tommorow and try the roundballs I casted today.

Welcome to the forum. T/C Hawken,they are great people at their service dept., try to find a used one, and get some one that is knowledgeale to check it out with you. The search is a lot of fun. Ask any and all questions on this forum, "there are no dumb questions".

Don't have much experience either and I decided on the Lyman Great plains rifle. Shoots better than I can. The Cabelas Hawkens are made by the same company as mine(investarms of Italy)
3 or 4 people in my ML club are shooting the Cabelas Hawken for years and never had a problem.
If it were me I would look at the Lyman Trade rifle.

WI

Was going to recommend a Pedersoli long rifle but I just checked Cabelas and they only list them in the 1:48 twist, same as a factory T/C. Thought those came in roundball twist but I guess Cabelas decided to go with the other.

If you do get the T/C you can later buy an additional complete barrel from Green Mountain in the slower twist. This will give you good 50 yard accuracy with lighter loads.

RedFeather

They are both great guns. I am newer to muzzleloading also, and I decided on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Awesome but kinda heavy.
The Cabelas gun is made by the same people as mine Investarms in Italy. 4 guys in my club have been shooting the Cabelas Hawken for a few years without problems and love them. Try to hold as many as you can to feel if they fit you or not.

WI

RedFeather said:
If you do get the T/C you can later buy an additional complete barrel from Green Mountain in the slower twist. This will give you good 50 yard accuracy with lighter loads.

The same 15/16" GM IBS barrels that fit a T/C Hawken will also fit the Investarm Hawken. The T/C Hawken and Investarm Hawken are about as close as you can get, mechanically. Some of the parts will interchange. I have been told that Investarms actually makes the lock parts for T/C and T/C just assembles them here. I do not know if this is true but the locks are remarkably similar. Quality wise they are equal, IMO, but T/C does have the best warranty.

You might want to check out these auction sights for both new and used T/C's and Cabela's Hawkens, as well as others.
[url] http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Browse.asp?Cat=2324&Timeframe=0&Page=1&Items=50[/url]
[url] http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Browse.asp?Cat=2324&Timeframe=0&Page=1&Items=50[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a nipple .50, early Sile Hawken today, (I know they imported them back in the 70's) believe it to be same as the Cabela's. I have heard Investarms (Sile is stamped "I" in the box) ) makes them, and several importers have then labeled same under their names.

The Sile has the chrome bore, does the Cabela's?

The rifle is kind of chunky, but has as good wood to metal fit as I have ever seen on a mass produced muzzleloader. Looking forward to burning some 3F in it soon.

Not much junk on the market these days, used guns are fine and will save you lots o bucks. If the bore is rusty, it will clean up with a bit of elbow grease and smome steel wool on a jag.
Gunshows are a great place to look or the classified section on this forum, soon to be back up and running.
Nit Wit :grin:

I'd get a T/C if possible. The only other I'd consider is the Lyman GPR. It looks more like an original rifle. A Green Mountain barrel can be added to either to make them more accurate.

I've both a Lyman (Investarms) and TCs. Quality is good on both and no problems with either (so can't tell if TC warrantee comes in to play , yet...).

You can use a bad bore as a bargaining chip to get the price down then drop in a GM barrel for TC/investarm guns.

Also consider buying a used stock/hardware assy to drop a barrel into.

Either way you should be able to get a real good shooter w/new barrel for < $300. (e.g. new barrel ~ $180 + cost of used gun/stock assy).

I picked up the Sile and a TC rocklock with a 32 inch replacement barrel for resell, but, I think I will play with them for a while.

The TC flinter, 32 inch browned bbl is in .45 and is totally unmarked, so have no idea who made it, for GM marks theirs. If I remember right, was told it could be an Orion bbl, as at one time, they made drop in replacement bbls for the TC.

Back