• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Rooster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally conected with the 20ga old girl.Load was 7/8oz of #6 and 50grs of FFg.I would have had #4 in but it was still loaded from squirrel hunting.
Pictures204.jpg
[/img]
Pictures205.jpg
[/img]

Medic,it not a fancy Belgium.Plain what I call a "Farmers" gun.No checkering or engraving.Barrels are 30".From the proof marks made somewhere around mid 1800's.Picked it up at a show.Guy had $200 on it.He saw me looking and said to make an offer.Said $100 and he took it.Nobody wants these old things,right!

Last edited by a moderator:
:bow: It's just my uneducated opinion, but those pics look good enough to be in a magazine. Sure wish I could find a Flinlock double.
Good job!

410-er said:
Medic,it not a fancy Belgium.Plain what I call a "Farmers" gun.No checkering or engraving.Barrels are 30".From the proof marks made somewhere around mid 1800's.Picked it up at a show.Guy had $200 on it.He saw me looking and said to make an offer.Said $100 and he took it.Nobody wants these old things,right!

nice find, how do the bores look?

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I did when I got it was scrub the barrel with 0000 steel wool,brass brush,and drill.Dropped bore light down.No heavy pits and barrels were thick.She never comes completly clean like a modern shotgun bore.
Chuck Dixon always told me "If you want one to shoot,get a Belgium gun.If you want one for pretty,get an English."
Belgium barrels are welded together where English are soldered.

makes sense about the belgium/vs english barrels, i'm casually looking for a shootable double myself. are you using the original nipples or replacements?

Replacements.Took it to Dixons to determine if it needs .260,.265,or .270 nipples.He then had the proper taps in that size.You want tight fit to prevent them from blowing out!

410-er said:
"If you want one to shoot,get a Belgium gun.If you want one for pretty,get an English."

really?...hmmmmmm I did'nt know that. It's good to hear though. I have a set of Belgian "W Richards" barrels I got to do a double flinter out of next yr.

410-er said:
How reliable was your source on that? Was it Dixon? ISTR some discussions on a double-gun board concerning re-laying ribs that had the Belgian being brazed while the British were soldered. Makes sense - more solid than even hard solder but much less difficult than welding, and still allows for easy soldering (& re-soldering) ribs & such.

Regards,
Joel

Back