• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2.5 oz of shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman's BP Handbook lists several .12ga loads...the largest shot charge listed is 1+1/2oz.
They are all very similar and to give you an idea, here's sort of an average of those loads:

100grns FFg
1/2" cushion wad
1+1/2oz #6 shot
OS card
1025 FPS/MV
6000 LUP

FWIW, my personal opinion about any manufacturers publicized load...understandably...is that they lean heavily towards the low side for fear of liability, not knowing the condition of barrels being used, sloppiness involved when measuring powder & shot, etc.

By contrast, I use strong, thick walled, modern steel GM and Rice .20ga barrels and for small stationary targets I always use significantly more shot than powder...like the old saying something like "load powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead".

For example, my .20ga Turkey load is 80grns Goex and 1+5/8oz #6 shot...recoil is nothing and the long shot string helps fill in the center of the pattern at distance...recommended by this man and puts a Tom down in his tracks.

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Thanks for the info...I will try out that recipe in my 12. If we ever get a half decent day I am going to get out and shoot her, at some paper. I will post my results. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link also, that was some helpful reading.

Horner30 said:
Thanks for the info...I will try out that recipe in my 12. If we ever get a half decent day I am going to get out and shoot her, at some paper. I will post my results. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link also, that was some helpful reading.
If you experience a "dough-nut hole" in the pattern, then cut the amount of cushion wad in half and try that.

As a last resort the powder charge can also be reduced some but in that large bore volume of space, pressure would fall off pretty quickly, and that would affect velocity and penetration.

roundball said:
....and penetration.

You did some good work on penetration a while back, roundball, but I can't seem to find the thread. If you know where it is, he would profit a lot from it, I think.

BrownBear said:
I don't know where you're coming from. Read around the site and check out the stickie on jug choking. Lots of answers there, so you might find one to fit your question.

What I'm saying is jug choking was not available to original ML shotguns, since chokes were not thought of until the breech loaders came along..

I didn't say it could not be done with proper barrel wall thickness. I’m aware that it can.

But primarily my post was intended to caution the poster that Historically correctness might come in to play.
Twice :v

I don't think the authenticity thing ever came up, any more than 2 1/2 oz loads for 12 gauge is authentic.

It's talk about increasing effectiveness, and jug choking is a potential way to do so with safe pressures and less recoil.

As for the authenticity of jug choking, I'll leave that to better minds than mine. I'm a shooter and not a historian.

BrownBear said:
I don't think the authenticity thing ever came up, any more than 2 1/2 oz loads for 12 gauge is authentic.

I know and that was the reason for making my post. just in case.. :wink:

Best.
Twice

BrownBear said:

It's talk about increasing effectiveness, and jug choking is a potential way to do so with safe pressures and less recoil.

As for the authenticity of jug choking, I'll leave that to better minds than mine. I'm a shooter and not a historian.

Well said.
And if I need or want to know if something is "HC" or not I'll ask if it is...otherwise I am definitely not interested in having it injected into a conversation unsolicited.

PS: Two of my .62cal smoothbores are Jug Choked and they're fabulous.

F Thomas said:
I'm new to this and would like a definition from someone on "jug choked".

It is what you do to someone when they put the empty milk jug back in the fridge and you don't figure it out till you already crumbled the cornbread in your glass.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :redface:

F thomas, if you do a search on here for jug choking you'll get all the info you want. Chris

Jug Choke is an expansion chamber cut into the walls of the barrel of a smooth bore long gun, that allows the shot charge to first gradually expand into the chamber, shortening its length, and then be constricted back down to bore size again gradually as it leaves the chamber, returning its length to what it was before the shot charge entered the chamber, and before it reaches the muzzle. The action causes the pellets to re-align in the column in relation to each other, and imparts kinetic( stored) energy in the pellets themselves, causing them to stay together longer as they leave the muzzle and enter the air.

The name comes from the shape of the neck of old "Jugs" which are tapered from body of the container to the mouth. Think of the shape of the neck on an old 7-Up bottle.

Jug chokes differ from Modern chokes because modern manufacturers place the chokes at the very end of the muzzle, and all the constriction occurs within an inch, or less. You pay a lot of money to buy a replacement barrel, or screw-in choke tube that has a long, Tapered choke in it, but you also get better patterns.

Because of the gentle, long tapers of jug chokes, you tend to get very nice, full(pellet count and even distribution) patterns with guns so choked. This is an advantage that jug-choked MLers have over modern, factory-made breechloaders. Because of the much harder steels used in modern shotgun barrels, It would be much more costly to put Jug Chokes in those barrels.

Modern shotguns may owe their "pedigree" to older designs, that are muzzle loaders, but the use of smokeless powders, and the higher pressures, and velocities that result, makes designing and constructing a shotgun to use smokeless powder a different kind of "shot gun". The same characteristics apply to choking modern guns. You could "Jug Choke" a modern shotgun barrel, but the patterns you get won't be much different than what you get with muzzle chokes, if you use smokeless powder in the gun. ( Its been done, along with lots of other experiments on choking, and forming barrels to produce tighter patterns at longer ranges.)

[In fact, one of the current "fads" with modern guns is to have the bores begin, in a 12 gauge gun, with a 10 gauge bore diameter, tapered gently from the breech to the muzzle, where the shot load goes thru a 12 gauge, screw-in choke tube before leaving the muzzle and entering the air. The idea of a barrel-long, tapered bore comes from the idea of a jug choke. Its called, "Back Boring", in modern terminology. It has found an audience, and customer base, with Registered Trap shooters who are concerned about reducing felt recoil in their single-barrel, light-weight, Break-open shotguns.] :thumbsup:

Although the reasons for back boring as you presented them is some what accurate in general terms. It is not however why trap shooters back bore their guns . Some fellows been sold on the idea that the barrels bore does not come bored from the factory as true as it could be .They are also of the opinion the bore of a barrel has high and low points much like a roller coaster that affect their patterns. Others are of the opinions that a shotgun barrel should be well balanced for best results same as well built high powered engine. Others want the balancing act plus a tighter choke . The only way they can get that tighter choke on fixed choke barrels is by having the barrel back bored. Others remove or extend their chamber lengths for reduction of felt recoil and or for elimination of shot deformities caused my cramping or squeezing at the chambers end..
Jug choking can be away to get little choke out of a ML barrel , if we are talking original barrels ,then we have to also discuss the wall thickness remaining after 150 years ,before we can determine how much choke is available and still render the barrel safe..

Personally speaking ,If I wanted a tighter choked muzzle loader I would get one of those modern manufactured guns . But then again I do not shoot BP guns because I like the smell of Black powder ,I hunt with them because I want to experience what the sportsman of my guns era experienced , and test my self to the best of my ability against those before me with what was available to them. Otherwise, for me at least, if I did it any other way it would not be worth doing it as I have modern guns and dogs to help me stuff my bag with game.. Taking off In Jan to Hunt Kansas and Arizona with my 1847 Manton 12. I Guarantee you I will be doing some day dreaming while carrying that gun. :thumbsup:

Twice.

I am amused to read your accounting of some of the Ideas people give about their modern barrel's performances. Its a bunch of sheep dip, IMHO, but I, like you, have polite stood by and listened to a lot of it.

I once broke 98 targets in a Handicap shoot, to win the match from a man who was, apparently, that State's current ATA Trap Shooting Champion, by one target. Now anyone who is around competitive trap shooting knows that you don't give up 3 targets and expect to win. You might, but you don't expect it. I used my pump shotgun, that I use to shoot both clay targets, and hunt, and have used to kill deer in season( with a slug barrel). He had some $5,000 single barrel, back bored, wondergun made overseas - the kind of gun you see in the hands of "champions". I never met the man, before or since. He lives in some kind of rarefied air far above my low station in life. He stormed off the range, and drove off madly when he learned he had lost the Match.

Now, to be sure, I shot well above my "average"- like about 10 targets---- to win that shoot. But, I had NO expectations of shooting that well, and just concentrated on breaking the next target. I learned I broke the last 72 targets straight. I was Smokin' that day. Period. Call it "Luck'. I surely will.

But its not about the guns, the barrels, the chokes, the backboring, or what have you.( I have to admit that I did have my trap barrel's throat relieved by using a long tapered reamer to remove the factory throat.) Its a mental game, about getting the job done. I have my way to get "into the zone", which few others use, or even understand. Others use different techniques to quickly get into the zone, and then come out of it as soon as they dismount their gun. My $283(1973 vintage) Remington pump shotgun is just as capable of breaking the targets as that man's $5,000, or $10,000 imported wondergun.

Personally, I agree with you about old shotguns, and would never try to jug choke one. Save that for the modern replicas, and for the modern steel barreled fowlers.

I have my modern shotgun with different choke barrels, including one that has screw-in chokes.

Likewise, I find something very special about hunting birds with any of my black powder smooth bores. It adds some excitement for both me, and the friends with whom I hunt, who do their fair share of laughing at me, and "betting" that I can't kill a thing with that "Old gun", but then, at the end of the hunt, are the most gracious companions to congratulate me on the fine performance I did with my gun, and how much they enjoyed actually seeing me drop birds with it.

They are always so impressed with the amount of flame that comes out the muzzle, the large diameter cloud of smoke, and the much louder Roar of BP compared to their smokeless powder guns. When I use my flintlock, either at a range, or in the field, they are shocked that the gun went off, much less went off so fast. And that I got the gun to go off that fast repeatedly. How about that!

The smiles on their faces adds to the mystique of using these guns to hunt. I only have to wonder at how complacent shooters back in the day might have been, or, were they just as thrilled when the guns fired fast, and birds fell from the sky with these same guns.

The most memorable moment I have had shooting my BP shotguns was one day at a Skeet range, shooting it and breaking targets. A man in his 70s, was helping his grandson to learn to shoot Skeet(?), and he asked to look at my gun. He then told his grandson in front of me that HIS grandfather had used a gun just like mine when he was his grandson's age. He remembered hearing the BOOM, seeing the cloud of smoke, and the flame coming out of the muzzle as his grandfather killed birds on a hunt he was allowed to watch.

I offered to let him fire my gun, and he took two shots with it, missing the targets. But, his grandson got to watch his granddad fire a BP shotgun, just like grandpa had watched his grandfather. I can't imagine how impressed that young man was about all that.

I realized I was witnessing family history that I never had known, and most of us will never experience, as now five generations of shooters in one family had the chance to shoot these old guns or watch them shot. The older shooter was probably born back in the teens of the 20th century. His Grandfather was probably born back in the 1850-60s. :hmm:

I think keeping the old traditions alive is what our sport is all about. It provides a "rudder" to guide future generations.

Thank you for sharing your own practice. Good Hunting in Kansas with that Manton. :) :bow:

Of course, you realize we will now insist on seeing pictures, so take a good camera, and someone to take pictures of all those smiles. :shocked2: :grin: :wink:

Merry Christmas. :hatsoff:

I’ll try to do my part if the Birds cooperate :>) Pictures I will take.

By the way I enjoyed reading about Gramps and Grandson. I have one coming up .I just hope with so many now days stuff kids are doing I will be able to pass on to him the little I know about our sport.”¦

Merry Christmas to all.
Twice.

Back