• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 Beard flintlock Tom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebel said:
Yea, here too. Can't figure out why a season on crows.
I assume it's to protect them during the breeding / nesting season...hopefully a sign that our wildlife departments learned from the unlimited shooting during the early 1900's and are cautious about making that mistake again.

I know you know we almost lost our Turkey population that way and could not hunt them for most of yours & my lifetimes...luckily we got chances this spring to enjoy some good hunts on wild Turkey. Might as well protect those Crows too...heck, they might be our grand children's game birds.

Awesome bird Rebel! And taking him with a flinter and in PC clothing is a real accomplishment! :hatsoff:

roundball,
I can here it now, "Did you get your Thanksgiving
crow yet?" :rotf: :rotf: Seriously I know where
your coming from.When I was young turkey hunting
was a:nono:.Then when we got a few they had a lottery where you sent in your name and maybe 500
lucky hunters got to participate. But today anyone that can buy a tag can hunt them.I don't
always agree with the DNR but in all honesty they are doing an outstanding job, at least in Ohio IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Turkey restoration really has been a major wildlife management success story...simple when you think about it.

Keep the season closed year round and through the breeding season to ensure the majority of hens get their eggs fertilized, lay them, and start nesting.

Then open a short season with conservative bag limits for bearded turkeys only to ensure there's a good expanding supply of poulets every year, etc...more hens, more Toms, and so on.

They are really an interesting bird...and with the exception of a Toms head being so ugly it's almost pretty...they are breathtakingly beautiful in full strut in the bright sunlight.

I had basically decided to get into turkey hunting only because it was an opportunity to hunt something else with a Flintlock...now, I'm hooked on turkey hunting and the Flintlock just makes it sweeter.

Hey Rebel
I see 3beards in that picture.
2on the one bird and one on the other bird that is holding the first bird. :rotf: :rotf: :blah:
Good story and congrats :thumbsup:

Congratulations Rebel!!!
That's a dandy bird! :hatsoff:
roundball, the turkey restoration has gone well in just about every state where it's been done. I was fortunate to be right in the middle of it here in KY. I got to see the first birds come out of the box here in my home county and the county east of me, and I personally delivered the first birds that went in the county north of me. :winking:
I helped release the last out-of-state birds that were stocked in my county, and I killed a nice longbeard last year (and this year too) in the holler behind my house.
KY owes it's turkey flock to a guy named George Wright. He was the state turkey biologist during the whole restoration project. He passed away a couple of years ago, and he will be missed.

Back