• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 weeks off during ML season, but can't hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My plant closed down this year for the last 2 weeks of December due to a major industry downturn. Despite the fact that I'm unemployed for 2 weeks, I was pretty excited, since I could hunt with ML every day except Christmas and Sundays.

Saturday morning I had some things to tend to at home, but I was able to get out in the afternoon in the middle of the big snowstorm. I headed out to a spot I haven't hunted much in about 15 years.

Typical of so many of the spots I can hunt here in NJ, it's just a small piece of private property...probably less than 2 acres that I have permission to hunt. It's a narrow strip of woods, probably 150 yards wide, but beyond the land I can hunt is quite a bit more land that is hunted by a gun club. About 75 yards in is a dry stream bed, with a good-sized hill on the other side. The deer often follow the stream bed for a couple hundred yards before crossing towards my uncle's backyard, where they often spend the night browsing.

I got there around 2:00 in the middle of some pretty heavy snowfall. I walked in about 40 yards and set up with a seat that I hang on a tree. http://www.bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html Within a half hour, I was covered in snow. It helped me blend in a bit better, but it sure wasn't helping me stay warm.

Around 4:00 I noticed movement off to my left. A doe was coming down the hill, headed straight toward the stream bed. She was about 60 yards out. This was the first deer I've even seen all season, so I was a bit excited. As soon as she went behind a small group of trees I shifted into position, slipped the cow's knee off my lock, cocked the gun and brought it up. Now I just had to wait for her to step out.

Once she stepped out from behind the trees, I put the sights on her chest. Just then I realized that my rear sight was packed with snow. I couldn't see the front sight at all through the notch in the rear sight. I raised the muzzle up slightly until I could see the front sight, then lowered it again until the front blade just disappeared. I aimed for the lungs and squeezed off the shot.

When the smoke cleared, I saw she was down, but trying to get back up. I realized I must have hit high, either in the shoulder or the spine. I quickly reloaded and finished her off.

As I was reloading a second time, another doe came up and stood over the fallen deer. She had been behind the group of trees just a couple yards away. I don't think she knew what had happened. Since I am allowed to take 2 deer at a time, I raised my gun and took a shot at this second deer, but missed. She ran off about 20 yards unhurt.

By this time it was getting dark and I knew I had my work cut out for me. I walked up to the downed doe. The second doe stood watching me until I was within 5 yards of the downed deer, then took off over the hill.

I dressed the doe then took my gun and seat out to the edge of the woods, since I had to cross the rocky stream bed. I returned to drag the deer out. I got halfway across the stream bed with the deer when a rock twisted out from under my right foot. I went down hard, with my foot twisted around under my leg. I knew I was hurt, but there was no one nearby who could help me. After about 10 minutes I forced myself back to my feet. I could barely stand, but I had to get out of the woods. I dragged the deer nearly 500 yards to where I had parked my truck, then returned for my gun and seat. It took more than an hour and a half to make the 2 trips.

I finally got the deer hung and got home around 7:30. When I took my boot off, my right foot and ankle were swollen to about twice their normal size. I've been stuck in the house ever since, unable to put any weight on my right foot. I went for an x-ray Monday, but nothing looks broken. Now I just hope it heals enough that I can get back out for a day or 2 before I have to go back to work. Fortunately, I can hunt with ML through Feb. 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, no pics. By the time I thought about pictures, my only worry was getting home and off my feet.

Ouch!!!!!!!! That is terrible. I have bad ankles and just reading your story almost has me writhing on the floor. I am not sure if you talked to your Dr. or not, but I hope he gave you some good things to do to help the healing. Of not and since it has been greater than 48hrs. I would be soaking that ankle in a whirlpool at every chance. But, to cover my tail, ask your Dr. first. For me this really speeds up the healing process and I think you may be able to get out quicker than you thought possible. Good luck in getting back to the field and glad you got your deer.

I loved that story up until you sprained your ankle,,,,, I say get one of them velcro removable hard cast's.. and find a spot thats easy to get too and then if you put another deer down then call someone to help you get it out---> I'd hate to see you miss the season when there might be a way to keep at it fpr as long as you can.

I'm hoping I can get back out next week. My father offered to drive me in to the spot where I killed this doe. He can get me to within about 40 yards of where I was sitting.

I've been in my recliner with my foot up since Saturday night, and soaking it in hot water 3-4 times a day. The swelling is just starting to go down a little, but it just bruised up last night.

I didn't think it was all that bad until Monday morning when I had to follow-up with my surgeon from the abdominal surgery I had in August. He asked me about the crutches I was using. When I told him what happened, he looked at my ankle and insisted on sending me for an x-ray when he saw just how swollen it was. The x-ray showed no sign of a fracture, so my doctor told me to keep it elevated, soak it in hot water several times a day and to take 2 Advil every 4 hours.

This was the first deer I killed my with new GPR flinter. Somewhere in this story there has to be a name for that gun!

Had the same thing happen years ago.I knew if I took the boot off,that would be it.Waited till I got home to remove.X-ray showed sprain not broke but it sure "SNAPPED" when it happened.Hope you heal quicker than I did.Took months!Still not right.

Let me know if you need any more help getting to "the spot"...I'm off and have some time next week. I have a Jersey hunting license, but haven't harvested a deer. I've hunted birds though. Could be an extra set of hands & legs, just for the experience. Let me know here or PT/PM me, and feel better!

Dave
Merry Christmas!

Attaboy :thumbsup: an Congrats! :hatsoff: on the deer! :wink:

the ankle part is a downer...(no pun .. :redface: )hope ya can get back out...as fer namin the gun... :hmm: I'd say Lucky is out... :wink:

proud of ya takin the deer out that nite! :hatsoff:

Yowch! Glad you were able to get something for the freezer. I took a step on what I thought was snow last week and found a sheet of ice underneath and managed to stay upright while doing my best Jerry Lewis impersonation and twirling my longrifle like a baton. Felt it the next day in my stiff back but luckily no impairment.

Heal fast!

First off, congratulations on a deer. At this moment of desperation I might be willing to trade an ankle for a deer. Maybe not... Anyway enjoy the steaks!!!

"This was the first deer I killed my with new GPR flinter. Somewhere in this story there has to be a name for that gun!"

You could name it after a dinosaur, maybe "ankle"o"sore"us..... :rotf: :(

Thanks guys!

I'll be back out there soon. My ankle's still pretty sore, but I'm starting to get around on it a little bit.

Since we mostly eat venison, I need to put a few more deer in the freezer. This past year we ate 6 deer, and ran out of venison about 2 months ago.

Well, I've been able to get out a little bit the past few days. My foot's still sore and a bit swollen, but I have help just a phone call away in case I get another deer. I've been hunting the same spot, seeing deer every day, which is pretty good considering that the deer I shot last week was the first I saw all year.

I had a shot at another doe the other day, but I forgot to turn off my cell phone. Just as my finger touched the trigger, my phone rang and I jerked the shot.

Sounds about right. Seems like if I take my phone out with me hunting, it will absolutely ring unless I turn the volume down. Sorry to hear of your ancle. Mine are kinda weak. I twisted one a few months ago stepping out of the truck at work and about fell down. I didn't have it checked out because I figured it will go away, but it still hurts bad after I get in from hunting. But at least I still got out. No deer, but I got out. Congrats on the deer, too. Hope you get what you need.

RC said:
...as fer namin the gun... :hmm: I'd say Lucky is out... :wink:

Dunno, I count him pretty lucky - he's got a deer in the freezer, didn't bust his ankle or his new GPR in that creek bed AND he's got back out hunting already!

Finnwolf

Finnwolf said:
RC said:
...as fer namin the gun... :hmm: I'd say Lucky is out... :wink:

Dunno, I count him pretty lucky - he's got a deer in the freezer, didn't bust his ankle or his new GPR in that creek bed AND he's got back out hunting already!

Finnwolf

ahhh...the bright side! :thumbsup: :haha: :grin:

Back