• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 ga. turkey load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting good patterns with a 36" jug chocked .20 using 65 gr 3F 1/2 of a lubed fiber wad and 1 1/4 oz #5 nickle plated shot and an over shot card.

In my 62 calibre 44" Colerain full choke barrel I am using 85grs. FFG Swiss, 1 over powder felt wad-lubed. One and a quarter oz. plain lead #6's. Another felt wad over the shot column. Four F in the pan. Pattern's like there's no tomorrow. Have tried everything up to 1 5/8 oz. and nothing patterns as well as this load and it's hard on the turkey's.
Tom Black
Cantucky

roundball said:
If its of any help, while my .62cal turkey gun is a GM 33" Flint barrel, I use the load recommended at this individual's website...works perfectly, have taken a couple of turkeys with it, etc.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

It occurred to me that the most significant element of these discussions about excellent patterns of course is at what distance...and we've all left that out...I'm sure all .62cals probably pattern great at 20yds for example.

In my case, Bob Aspen's recommended turkey load in my 'full' jug choked GM barrel averages 16 - #6 pellets in the 4" red circle on a turkey head target at 40yds...its dropped one tom stone dead at 40yds, another at 30yds...its really a terrific long range Flintlock turkey barrel & load combination for me

Last edited by a moderator:
In Oklahoma 40 yards would be a long shot. I'll keep working on it and let you know.

I first tried a cylinder bore 20 and after a lot of experimenting 20 yards would really have been pushing things. Fifteen yards was much more realistic for a reliable kill range. I am not that good of a turkey hunter. That is why I went with this full choke barrel on my British style fowler. I killed a hen at 25 yards with the previously mentioned load. There was 8 pellets in her head. At 30 yards an under nourished humming bird would have trouble getting thru the pattern. Still very tight at 35. Fourty yards is my limit. If hunting with a flintlock has taught me anything its patience.
Tom Black
Cantucky

Back