• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 gauge BP load for turkey???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new at this BP Shotgun stuff..What would be a good load in my 20 gauge Double to start with..Thanks Shot size/powder ??? Thanks

jeffdrown said:
I'm new at this BP Shotgun stuff..What would be a good load in my 20 gauge Double to start with..Thanks Shot size/powder ??? Thanks

As one excellent reference / starting point, MLF Member "George" has shared a terrific set of real life testing and experience at his website. One excerpt from "The Notebook" is his article, The Versatile Smoothbore

In it he lists a turkey load, which I adopted years ago, test proved it from my smoothbore, then had the good fortune of taking a few long beards with it. The load he settled on, or some variation from that theme, might work well in your smoothbore.

Your goal is to manipulate the amount powder, wads, and shot to get a decent pattern for a small turkey skull & neck vertebrae...and the size of the shot pellets to have energy...and the max distance at which you can get all those elements to converge...might only be 18yds with a cylinder bore, might be 40yds with a full choked barrel, etc.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with roundball; George's loads are darn good. I settled on 75gr-3f, op card, 1/2 of a lubed cushion wad, 1.5oz hard 7.5s shot, os card. This does well in my 20ga fowler out to 20-25yds. Cyl bore!

Back