• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 Gauge Double BP For "coyotes"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some Hornady #4 Buckshot (.240 DIA.). Do you think I could get a good load/pattern in my 20 Gauge Double BP for coyotes. I shoot alot of "yotes" at 20-40 yards and like to "smoke" one with BP ! Thanks ..Jeff

I don't think you could find anything better!
If you can develope a good shot cup procedure, you can have great range with this size of shot.
A strong cardboard cylinder, with a secure bottom, will replicate a good choke.
With practice, I bet you will do well at 50 yds.
Please tell us how sucessful you are, with your double twenty, and your buck shot hunting.
Old Ford

Whenever you figure out how to load your shotgun effectively for coyotes, please do us all a favor and kill a bunch of 'em. There are too many of those creatures around.

Should be able to figure something out to work well.
I've had similar thoughts for an old 25lb bag of #2 shot I got for free with no real use for it.
I could set up a motion decoy at 25yds and they should do the job if I could get one to come in

No sweat!

I've killed a bunch of coyotes with #4 buck and modern 12 gauge, and the ballistics are sure there when you put the buck where it belongs.

The "test" will be just how far you can manage that with your gun. I'd use 3-4 hits in the rib cage as your standard for pattern density for reliable kills. We manage that with the modern 12 and 3" all the way out to 50 yards, but yours will almost certainly be less. I can "guarantee" 20 yard performance, but things might get iffy past 30, details depending.

Roundball- A load of #2 lead will certainly whack them too, but energy-wise I'm betting you'll want to stay inside 30. I've killed several over the years with #6 and #5 shot while pheasant hunting with modern 20's and 28's, but at 30 yards one shot just rolled them and a second shot was required when they got back up. I bet they won't get back up with a load of #2's at 30 yards, but it might convert you to shooting double barrels if you tried it further.

BrownBear said:
I bet they won't get back up with a load of #2's at 30 yards, but it might convert you to shooting double barrels if you tried it further.
Yes, particularly with the .62cal Jug Choked Full...and with the motion decoy set at 25yds, that would be my range.

Thanks ..Guys.... We have taken 54 yotes off farm this year. I have used a 25.06. I have call from as far away as 600 yards. Most come in alomost on top of me if I don't stop them first...I have a home made mouth call that is out of this world for calling. So getting 20 to 40 shots ..no problem. I'll keep you informed..Breeding season is comming up soon..wat a time it will be with "Double Smoke pole"

Old Ford said:
Too bad you don't have a video camera duct taped to that shotgun!
Thought about doing that very thing for this fall's deer season, but in the end didn't do it because I was afraid after all that expense the smoke cloud would obscure the crucial moment.

I think it would be interesting to have barrel videos of game taken with muzzleloaders...I've seen barrel vids of turkeys being taken with modern smokeless shotguns, but so far, never a muzzleloader.

I think one of the wealthy muzzleloading enthusiasts should go make that investment and advise us of the outcome...LOL

Back