• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 gauge fowling musket ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gettysburg63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend just gave me a 20 gauge fowling musket never shot it, he really did not know what to shoot out of it. I was wondering what cal. is a 20 gauge. Would a 58 cal. ball work?

20ga is about .62 caliber though it can range from .625" down to .615" or even a bit more or less than that. A .58 ball will work but will need at least a double patch.

hanshi said:
20ga is about .62 caliber though it can range from .625" down to .615" or even a bit more or less than that. A .58 ball will work but will need at least a double patch.

I shoot a .562 ball out of my 20 gauge nw trade gun using a cotton duck patch, not sure of the thickness.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

I think a stanndard .58 prb is that .562 though .570 and .575 are to be had. I shoot a .595 in mine but if you use a paper cartradge the smaller ball works best. If you wad instead of patching the bigger ball might work better. The whole fun of this is playing with it to see what works best for you.

The bore of my 20 gauge trade gun is a little tight. I've found a .590 ball and either a .010 or .015 patch works best. A .570 ball shot ok but required a thick patch, I used denim from an old pair of jeans.

Latest posts

Back