• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2008 - Game taken in 2008

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Similar to the 2009 thread, here's one for 2008 as I don't believe we ran a summary thread for 2008.
==========================================================
Buck during the November 2008 rut...I left the house at noon in a light rain to go sit an oak flat that brought deer to left over acorns, and right on queue per the major/minor animal activities calendar, gun shots started sounding around the countryside around 2:30...a few minutes later this guy came plodding slowly along cruising for does, raised the rifle from under my rain gear and I took him at about 45 yards.
.62cal GM smoothbore barrel that was rifled by Ed Rayl, 100grns Goex 2F, .018” pillow ticking, Eddie May cast .600”, 4F prime...Flintlock fired as perfectly as if it had been a bright sunny hot dry day.

Squirrels were taken with a GM .28ga smoothbore barrel, 70grns Goex 3F, 2 Oxyoke wads, 100grns #5 chilled shot, both picked off the same big beech tree at 30yds.

1113088pointerRifled62calPRBcropped.jpg

IMG_0272Cropped.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

Spike Buck
November 28, 2008
Harvested in Barbour County WV

This buck was taken with a .50 cal percussion frontier long rifle (39” barrel) with a.495 round ball using a prelubed .015 patch and 80 grains ff Goex black powder. The shot was behind the rib cage in a broad side position while still hunting on a friend’s farm in Barbour County at 90 yards. This buck was taken on Friday afternoon at 2:00pm in second growth timber on my friend’s farm. The deer ran 600 yards and laid down. After tracking his blood trail through the woods and into the brush a second shot was needed to complete the hunt.

I did not take a Deer in '08, I did take a few trips for Squirrels this is one that I took photos
of in the field, .58 French Fusil de Chase, 1 1/8 oz.#6 shot 60-70 gr 3f, typical shot column minus the lubed wad if I recall.
sqrlhunt2.jpg

I went on an open hunt with my ML in 2008. My goal was to see how fast I could get a deer and do it the cheapest way possible. I shot this deer behind my Grandmothers back pasture on public land. It took me 1 hour to get the deer and pack it to a road.
I shot it with my Renegade with a 410 gr Hornady great plains bullet. The shot was just under 100 yards and I did it off hand. This is my smallest buck I have ever taken with a ML :( Ron

2008buck1.jpg

Here's my buck from early October 2008 in the Snake River canyon in Washington. .62 T/C Hawken with round ball over 90 gr Goex 2f. I managed to sneak in to about 25 yards while he was bedded.

IMG009.jpg

Also a chuckar with my T/C New Englander. (I'm kind of crouched as I never seem to know if I'm cutting my head off using the self-timer!)

IMG022.jpg

roundball said:
That's a good buck Jethro

Thanks. :grin:
Today I was down in the ravine where I shot him last year. My buddy let me borrow his rangefinder this morning and I wanted to check exactly how far it was. My range estimatin' skills were off a bit. What I had guesstimated as a 60-70 yard shot turned out to be an even 90. :shocked2:
I'm gonna hafta figger a way to sneak down in there farther for next year. Lotta deer like the area. Saw 3 there this morning. 133 yards. Didn't shoot.

T/C Hawkens are very good muzzleloaders...they're so versatile / practical with the variety of hooked breech drop-in barrels and they just keep getting it done year after year
:thumbsup:

Great pictures of some really fine deer and other game. Egads! I don't have any pictures of 2008 :cursing: . I did get two bucks within an hour of each other with my TVM .45 flint Lancaster, but didn't think to bring a camera. 2009 was a bust for me but maybe 2010 will be better. You can also bet I'll have a camera with me!

Back