• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock 8 pointer in the rain !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hatsoff: on the buck , got one question though which side of that post was you on when you pulled the trigger :hmm: :hmm: :rotf:

Great job man!!

I've heard of midday hunting success but, I've never gotten over the morning/evening thing yet. Before the season is over, I'll have to set aside a few days for some midday hunts.

Wow round ball he's a beauty!

Funny thing, I just finished posting a reply regarding my need to take out my percussion gun tomorrow instead of my flinter given the expected all day rain. Now you have me second guessing my self.

Either way, I enjoyed your story and congratulations. Nice job.

Congrats Roundball, that is a nice animal. It is a better trophy due to it being taken under adverse conditions. Great job! I too have all the confidence in my flintlock in wet conditions. I have learned as well, if we do our part they will do theirs. :thumbsup:

Congratulations Roundball. Nice Buck and a testimony to the reliability of a flintlock in the hands of an experienced user. Well done. :hatsoff:
Idaho PRB

RICKYD said:
:hatsoff: on the buck , got one question though which side of that post was you on when you pulled the trigger :hmm: :hmm: :rotf:
I shot him a couple hundred yards in past that posted sign...I actually put up fresh signs for the landower every year...it's a small woodlot that I've been leasing since the 90's.

I was kneeling down leaning back against my truck which was parked at the side of the road when I took the picture...thought the gate post & yellow posted sign would add a bit of character to the photo

tg said:
Nice going RoundBall, looks like those flintlocks wil go off in the rain after all, nice deer and cpngrats for doing it the traditional way, it may help give others confidence in the old ways, we may yet "keep Tradition Alive" hope you get some more shooting if you have any season left.I let five does go by less than twenty yds during this years regular season... had a buck tag...some years are like that, it was still fun hunting in my miniskirt,with my Fusil.
I rested today with the better half, and it was actually pouring hard most of the day anyway. Yes, season runs until Jan 1st...have another buck tag and unlimited doe tags so I plan to hunt some more for that 2nd buck and probably try for a couple does for that soup kitchen operation.

Going back out tomorrow but the rain is supposed to be lighter as the front will be clearing on through...trailing edge winds are supposed to jump to 21 mph though so deer may be down under a log somewhere...but I can't get them sittin here at the house :grin:

Way to go Roundball. :bow: Any idea how much that buck weighs?

Don't be afraid to hunt when it's windy BTW, it's my favorite time to still hunt real slow. It's even better if the wind is swirling. Seems they get nervous if they get a wiff of you and can't make out where you really are. At least it works in small wood lots up here.

apache 130 said:
Way to go Roundball. :bow: Any idea how much that buck weighs?

Don't be afraid to hunt when it's windy BTW, it's my favorite time to still hunt real slow. It's even better if the wind is swirling. Seems they get nervous if they get a wiff of you and can't make out where you really are. At least it works in small wood lots up here.
He's not very big...I'd guess 125-135

Back