• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2009 1 st period goose season-Wisconsin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0239.jpg
The goose God's were good to me this last Sunday morning. Slight overcast sky,morning fog over marsh,little to no east wind.It's a 45 minute push pole to get to the blind. Lots of shooting on marsh(two day youth duck hunt underway) the kids were blazing away.The Canada geese are just starting to arrive here in central Wisconsin.At 8:30 am I heard a flock off in the distance,gave them 1 or 2 short calls and stayed quiet,about 5 minutes later here they come 8 in this flock,pick out a bird coming over the blind about 30 yards out,loud noise,big cloud of smoke,MMMMM...Missed low and behind..ok now I have their attention...swing up hold tight get ahead of them..Bang! big white cloud the bird's falling!It hit the water made one flop and that was it.There is a God. I just stood and watch the rest of the flock wing to the east.These birds fly faster than they look. The plan is working. pole out tag the bird back to the blind. Reload. fast forward 1 1/2 hours.Flight of 15 working west side of marsh..start calling.... birds see decoys and start my direction..here they come..first pass just on the edge of my comfort zone to shoot,they work east about 500 yards and swing back, this time lower..they are in my zone,up with the gun pick a bird..Bang big white cloud...MMMMMMM...Missed(what's with this right barrel?)pick the same bird cover pull ahead Bang big white cloud bird coming down. Say a little thank you and can't belive I did it!Collect my thoughts and pole out round the back of the blind to retrive the bird, there it is swimming away about 40 yards out..Put the push pole into overdrive and gain on the bird got to 30 yards and the bird raises its head and stops..pick up my T/C with the 12 ga. choked barrel loaded with 1 1/2 oz. of Nice shot 5's Bang big white cloud and the goose is done. Glad I had the tight choked shotgun along. In the picture is a 10 ga. Pedersoli SxS choked-load 95 gr FFF Graf's BP 1 1/2 oz. # 2 heavi-shot inside of a stiff plastic wad to protect the bore of the shotgun- I use open chokes due to the tight pattern and wad with the heavi-shot. I use a 1/8 in. over powder card edges lubed and a thin overshot card last. The shotgun sounded loud to me ..with the 28 in barrels. I was happy with the hunt but got a good lesson in leading those big birds. This year I was issued 6 goose tags for the zone I hunt in so there is more fun to come.A morning on the marsh is just FUN!

This hunt was dedcated to Alley Dullum.....See "Didn't see this coming" in the non-muzzleloader forum.

Back