• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2012 Hunting Accident Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw an older man at the skeet range a few years ago load his O/U shotgun, and then place the muzzle on the toe of this left foot, while he adjusted his shoulder pad with his right hand, then he shouldered the shotgun and shot the skeet station. I asked him if he thought that wasn't a bit dangerous?

He replied,"Nope, I shot them toes off ten years ago." :shocked2:

I hadn't noticed his limp, and I didn't mention that he was standing on concrete and the rest of us might like to keep our toes free of splattered lead if his shotgun went off.

LD

radman- many years ago when I was a teen I had an old Winchester 94- no safety other than half cock. To unload you had to run rounds in and out of the action. I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction but as I brought the lever forward the cuff on my sleave caught on the trigger and fired the gun as soon as I closed the action.
Was I spooked? You bet- I went to a local gun store to see what else I could use. The marlin 336 had a cross bolt safety that could be left in place while unloading. Sold the Win and Bought the Marlin.
How does this relate to Muzzle loading. You can keep a brass case over a capped nipple and I think that offers a lot of safety while moving the gun around. In any event, I thought I'd relate the mishap- no finger on the trigger- but the jacket cuff fired the gun. A twig or branch could do the same thing if you're bush waching in heavy cover.
On the tree stands- no one ever says how/why/when but I think it must be when a hunter is going up or down- they take off their safety harness and there's nothing to hold them if they fall. If you have a ladder stand a short piece of rope with an S hook could probably be used to hook over the rungs as you climb- just thinking on that one.

Loyalist Dave said:
he had stopped to rest, and placed the muzzle of a .50 caliber muzzleloader on his left foot, the gun discharged causing a self-inflicted injury to the left foot.
LD

goodbye left toe and part of the foot! funny you never see it advertised the effect of a .50sabot laser guided super deer killer, better than hittin' them with a pick up truck bullet's knockdown power on a toe. :haha:

Not to nitpick Dave, but MD does allow buckshot for deer in Dorchester county. The guy may not have been poaching but certainly didn't seem very smart. Just saying :hatsoff:

Back