• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2014 elk hunt is done :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well last year I was lucky and got a cow on the last day. Well that didn't happen this year. I hunted for 10 days of the 14 day hunt with no luck.
I started out in a new area this year. It has a lot of elk but they are on private land. I hung out in a place to watch and when they came into public I went after them.

01_zps53b77491.jpg

The plan went well on the first couple days but one problem was too many bulls. My hunt was for cows and there were 10 bulls for every cow. I passed on these cows because they were at 175 yards. I was practiced up on shooting out to 200 and felt confident. But my self imposed rule is no first shot past 150.

04_zpsab968141.jpg

03_zpsa59045f2.jpg

After two days of cat and mouse, they got the idea I was not up to any good and headed for private land. I hunted there for 4 days and then headed for a new area.

05_zps410d33cf.jpg

This area had more public land but NO elk. I got my elk here last year but I hunted for 7 days before I saw her. I hunted 4 days and this was all I got.

02_zps90fb2952.jpg

This years elk hunt was not as successful as last year but it was better than work. I guess there is always next year. Ron

Idaho Ron said:
The plan went well on the first couple days but one problem was too many bulls. My hunt was for cows and there were 10 bulls for every cow.

Ron

You know no one that hasn't hunted elk will buy that. Where as all of us who have hunted them, know just how you feel.

I had 8 or 9 elk (one was a cow) not 20 yards from me for about 2 days. :idunno: ok maybe it was one minute, but it was a full one minute and seemed like two days, with them knowing I was near, but not located. They were all milling around & around in an area about the size of a small living room (with 2 pinion trees in it).

I had her picked out and was just slipping from head to target area when "her" ear twitched & showed spikes JUST shorter then the ears :surrender: There might have still been a cow in there but I came sooo close to shooting a spike I was a wreck.

Glade you stuck to your 150 rule. I think they have ESP and stand at 40 yards past your set limit just to make you :youcrazy:

That's some open country! Glad to hear you stuck with your 150 yard limit. So, how did you cook up the scorpion? :wink:

PARDON ME for repeating what I told someone else here about my bear-LESS bear hunts of the last 2 trips: That's why it's called "hunting" rather than "killing".

BETTER LUCK to you next go-round.

yours, satx

My buddy and I came home smelling like skunks. Well elk piss anyhow. We passed up a nice 4 pointer about 175 away from our stand. Oh well there's always next year, or maybe....this weekend coming up.

I too have been drawn for an east side cow tag here in Washington. Hope to introduce one of your prescribed PP bullets to a nice fat cow during the week of Oct 4-10th. Will keep you posted. Looked to me like a nice hunt regardless of the lack of shooting.

Latest posts

Back