• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2014, Well the view was good

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got back tonight, had fun (except for the truck dying right as I got home :( )

The limitations of hunting with a flintlock were brought into sharp relief when I watched the 300 class bull elk that was NOT in my self-imposed range of 100 yards. He stood broadside at 150 yards :doh: Ok :idunno: I really missed my centerfire quite a bit at that moment as he gave me one last broadside look before trotting off.

Thought I'd give you a taste of the eye candy I saw every day. (No Deer tags of course) This youngster stood a short 15 yards away.

***You can also see the open ground I was hunting***

Count yourself LUCKY....My truck died 90 miles off the road and the tow was $985.00 125 to hook up & 5 bucks a mile and son missed a nice Elk at 70 plus yd. with his .54----oh well, we got memories right.....Tom

That is a great picture.
Too bad the elk didn't come closer but there's always next time. :thumbsup:

Sometimes the memories of just seeing a trophy can be a trophy in itself. Don't consider the hunt a failure.

I like the picture, it looks like the sun is glinting off his antlers!

Shooey said:
I like the picture, it looks like the sun is glinting off his antlers!

I think it is a snow flake on the phone I took two pics of him and it is on both but not on pics I took just 1/2 an hour later.

I'll try to crop some & get them up here in the next day or two.

In this modern era of city living and store bought foods it is not a tragedy, just a bummer.
Passing on that Elk at 150 yards+ was a good move on your part. Know your limits.
When out hunting I like to think of every deer I could have shot and recovered easily as a success. You could have dirt napped that buck easy peasy. So it counts for coup.

Hate to hear about the truck but at least you saw what you were after even if it wasn't in your limits. I honor you for making the right call as you know yourself better than anyone else. Dan.

All us flint shooters have had a twinge of pain similar to yours at one time or another. But when the hammer drops the bs stops and when the bull or buck drops then it's all worth it! Keep after um.

You did well. Good memories...great picture. The truck is the only bummer, and at least it waited till you got home. You will be rewarded for passing on that big elk.

That picture makes me miss being out West.

Here's to greater success on your next hunt. :thumbsup:

Sean,

Sounds like you had a GREAT hunt. I would imagine a lot of elk hunters never even saw a 300 class bull this year much less at "close" range for open western hunting. You are a great credit to our sport for knowing and sticking to your limits.

In my 2014 hunt story I talked about a good 10 point with drop tine I had a couple of encounters with this year. Now...a drop tine buck has been on the top of my list for as long as I can remember and in over 40 years I had never even seen one until this year. Had I had one of the modern scoped shotguns my lease partners were shooting, he'd be at the taxidermist instead of still wandering the woods. I have no regrets what-so-ever and neither should you.

Best wishes. You done good.

Mike

I went back hunted again (my tag was good for 8 days at the beginning of December & 6 more now.

Things had changed a bit...

Never got above Zero all day, started in the -20s!

I took a center fire so I can't tell about the hunt here :( But made meat & the shot was 225 yards farther then my 100 yard flintlock limit :idunno:

I'll hunt elk with my .54 again, just someplace that has at least ONE tree for me to hide behind :)

Latest posts

Back