• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had the same cat problem here. Yard used to be full of rabbits and now we hardly ever see one. Good news though, the cats seem to have magically disappeared. I wonder where they went... Maybe the rabbits will make a comeback but at least the squirrels are pretty thick around here.
Maybe the cats died out. I’ve been told from that from a couple of folks that those pesky cats died of lead poisoning

It's so much fun I've thought about inviting a friend to hunt with me, but it would drive them crazy how much time I'll put into stalking one squirrel.
Fully understand.

For this old boy, I have stood next to a larger tree for close to an hour waiting and watching one squirrel before getting a good shot. Most of the time it payed off but many times not. Just part of the game.

Best of luck to you, Jim. I hope you kill a bunch of squirrels. Beautiful time to be out in the woods for sure.

I'll let you all know about knee replacement. I'm a tough old fart that has bounced back pretty good from 6 other bone surgeries. Hope this one works out the same.
do your pt after if your therapist makes you oee in your pants you're doing it right

do your pt after if your therapist makes you oee in your pants you're doing it right
I’m finding the actual operation wasn’t too bad overall. PT is rough but im sticking with it. That PT woman is pretty darn tough.

As much as I hate taking them, Pain meds are a must.

They keep telling me I should be able to get out and do most anything I like by March. Don’t want to miss spring squirrel season.

Last edited:
Ya know, guys, I can’t help from think that with the bumper crop this past fall, as well as the higher number of squirrels in this neck of the woods, spring season might prove to be interesting. Lots of squirrels has made it so far and if most of them makes it through winter, fighting for food might be common come spring time.

Time will tell I reckon

I’m glad to see you’re thinking about squirrels Ed. No spring season in PA. My thoughts about spring all have to do with strutting gobblers!

I have a friend I travel with in the spring turkey hunting. In fact we’re looking into hunting Kentucky this spring. We haven’t hunted your state yet. We want to hunt Tennessee also.

I hope you pt is going well.

I’m getting ready to head out now and hunt some bushytails.

I’m glad to see you’re thinking about squirrels Ed. No spring season in PA. My thoughts about spring all have to do with strutting gobblers!

I have a friend I travel with in the spring turkey hunting. In fact we’re looking into hunting Kentucky this spring. We haven’t hunted your state yet. We want to hunt Tennessee also.

I hope you pt is going well.

I’m getting ready to head out now and hunt some bushytails.
Thank you and best of luck to you, Jim. Please post a rundown.

Ya know, guys, I can’t help from think that with the bumper crop this past fall, as well as the higher number of squirrels in this neck of the woods, spring season might prove to be interesting. Lots of squirrels has made it so far and if most of them makes it through winter, fighting for food might be common come spring time.

Time will tell I reckon
My hunting season came to an abrupt halt halfway through our two week ML season. So, for the first time, I too will be looking forward to the spring season. Never hunted them in the spring. Bumper crop here for sure. Can't look out the window without seeing squirrels running everywhere. Just can't do anything about it though. Best of luck with your PT.

My hunting season came to an abrupt halt halfway through our two week ML season. So, for the first time, I too will be looking forward to the spring season. Never hunted them in the spring. Bumper crop here for sure. Can't look out the window without seeing squirrels running everywhere. Just can't do anything about it though. Best of luck with your PT.
Tim, what state did you say you live in?

It's so much fun I've thought about inviting a friend to hunt with me, but it would drive them crazy how much time I'll put into stalking one squirrel.
Touching on this post again, I fully understand what you are saying. I too, have briefly thought about bringing someone along on my hunts so they can see how wonderful it is. However, many times while putting a long and drawn out sneak on just one squirrel the thought flashed through my mind that most people would simply think I was crazy. As I have previously stated, many times I have spent right at an hour waiting for a good shot on a single squirrel. Sometimes over an hour to be honest. Heck, most people think its crazy to squirrel hunt in general, much less with a sidelock ML and RB.

Oh well, better off that way I reckon. More time for me to be in the woods alone doing what I now love to do most in life.

I've been hunting the muzzleloader deer season here this week, so of course the squirrels are running amuck. We predominately have grey squirrels here. I've seen a few fox squirrels also.

I've been hunting the muzzleloader deer season here this week, so of course the squirrels are running amuck. We predominately have grey squirrels here. I've seen a few fox squirrels also.
Pilot, sometimes its difficult to sit and deer hunt while squirrels are running everywhere around you. It was all I could do to finish filling my deer tags this year before I could get back to squirrel hunting. There were so many squirrels everywhere.

Its especially difficult right now to be house bound and not be able to get back out squirrel hunting. But there's better times ahead. I'll be ready for it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Fellas, this thread has been great. Lots of very good input with lots of pointers for all to share. It has also resulted in friends being made, to the point of regular PM's, texts or phone calls being exchanged. Regardless of what type of traditional muzzle loader one chooses, or what hunting style one engages in when hunting squirrels, its all good.

With that said, due to a new year arriving in a couple of days, as well as the length of this thread, I have decided to let this one go. I would think that this one will, or should, remain open to fall back on. However, a new 2024/2025 squirrel hunting thread is in progress that will be posted to more/less take this ones place.

I thank you all.

Last edited:
Back