• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a design for a holder to hold the legs of a tree rat so it is easier to skin. Standing on the tail does not go well with me.
The trick to it is you have to have a rock or a board works too on the bottom. Use heel of your boot, and just stand up. If that still doesn't work for you, TDM had a tread a while back where he made a pretty nice one.

I need a design for a holder to hold the legs of a tree rat so it is easier to skin. Standing on the tail does not go well with me.
I made this one last year. I copied it from one I had years ago that worked well. Looked at some online too, and there are companies that sale them.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Not sure how you skin yours, but I do squirrel and rabbit bt cutting through the skin in the back, stick my fingers of each hand in and pull apart. It's much easier If done immediately after the kill.

Anybody have a good design or solution for carrying a longrifle muzzloader on an atv?
I have never even thought about that one. Perhaps if a padded gun case is available that’s long enough, bungee cord it down with one on the front rack and the butt stock on the rear rack. Might want to putt a little padding on each rack.

My Crockett rifle isn’t all that long so I just lay it across my lap or hold onto it with one hand IF I’m on flatter ground, which is scarce in this part in this the world. One thing is for certain, laying the ML across my lap and riding a 4-wheeler in the mountains is far from ideal. Just too darn steep here and it can cause problems at times.

Last edited:
Not sure how you skin yours, but I do squirrel and rabbit bt cutting through the skin in the back, stick my fingers of each hand in and pull apart. It's much easier If done immediately after the kill.
That’s how I generally skin my squirrels as well. Only problem is, a shot through the body doesn’t work out so well. With a headshot it works out great. With that said, considering my cruddy vision, I’m lucky to hit the darn squirrel at all. So, most of the time I am for the biggest part I can.

For rabbits I hold them head down by the rear feet and just start pulling the fur off starting at the rear feet.

Last edited:
Your body will take what it wants for healing, and give you the rest for chainsawing. I think your comeing around pretty good all things considered.
I hope the heck so. The main issue is with the darn knee. It’s been almost 5 months now since replacement and it still swells up big time whenever I’m on my feet much at all. At least the pain level isn’t as much as it was. Just stiff as a fence post. My guess that in another 11 more days when spring squirrel season opens, I get out and there and just ease along in the woods, it will help it a lot.

I concur, the rest of the body will adjust. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
How exactly do you use that contraption, Jim?
I cut through the tail bone at rectum but not through the skin. Then skin down the legs a little to make a flap of skin. Clamp my vice grip tool on the flap and hang from my hoist. Grab the rear legs and pull. I’m in a blind hunting right now. I’ll try and post a video later.

I have never even thought about that one. Perhaps if a padded gun case is available that’s long enough, bungee cord it down with one on the front rack and the butt stock on the rear rack. Might want to putt a little padding on each rack.

My Crockett rifle isn’t all that long so I just lay it across my lap or hold onto it with one hand IF I’m on flatter ground, which is scarce in this part in this the world. One thing is for certain, laying the ML across my lap and riding a 4-wheeler in the mountains is far from ideal. Just too darn steep here and it can cause problems at times.
Try Unique cases

Try uniquecases.com
I bought a 62 inch padded cases for my long rifle that I am very happy with.

I've been seeing a grey around the house recently with maybe a 2-3 inch tail. I've seen him 3 times, if I see him a fourth I'm going to start calling him either Stubb's, or Lucky. Lucky in the sense that whatever got most of his tail didn't get the rest of him. Been trying to get a picture bet he's quicker than a Jackrabbit on a date.

I've been seeing a grey around the house recently with maybe a 2-3 inch tail. I've seen him 3 times, if I see him a fourth I'm going to start calling him either Stubb's, or Lucky. Lucky in the sense that whatever got most of his tail didn't get the rest of him. Been trying to get a picture bet he's quicker than a Jackrabbit on a date.

One running around here has all the fur and skin stripped off the tail - looks like a rat. Poor little feller - that must have been (and still must be) painful.

Back