• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20ga fowler - an all around muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ June

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 50 cal inline and a 32 traditional which is a thing of beauty to me. The 50 is going the way of many good things this year. Am seeking a very traditional fowler as a most versatile firearm in the venue of B. J. Spencers' stories.
What might the effective range be with a ball for Deer? What degree of accuracy might be achieved? Etc.

Not a .62 in my case, but for what it's worth, I have two smoothbores. My .54 with front and rear sights does 6" groups out to 75yds, but falls apart beyond that for me. I am still experimenting and expect to improve on that. My other smoothbore is a .710" (13ga) SxS with just a bead up front. I trust it to give 6" groups out to 45, maybe 50yds on a good day, so I limit myself to 45yds with this one. This is shooting both barrels on the 13ga. Using just one, it does slightly better, but not enough to make me feel comfortable extending my range yet. I have both seen and read of better shooters than me doing things I wish I could and putting my groups to shame. So I will say expect as a minimum at least 50yd capability, but strive and achieve much better than that.

My last two, plus one I borrowed this last year since my late wife's health required I dump guns for hospital money this last year, have been 20 gauge/.62...however you want to look at it. A good fitting one is a joy to shoot, as you have learned from Bob's wonderful site, and can be pretty much the one gun you need. Would recommend you think of a small blade front sight rather than a bead type, this makes sighting easier. Potentially, a well fitting fowler with a well tailored load is capable of 7 to 10 inch groups or smaller. 75 to 100 yards is about the limit you'll want to try, wind and terrain being the real range considerations. I prefer the longer 46" barrel length and yes, they will cost a bit more than the 42" standard most makers use. This is a personal choice for me which helps with wing shooting and long range ball shooting...again, personal opinion. Your choices may vary but a .62 fowler is a really top choice. Just find one with the length and style you like, there are several out there. You'll find different types and eras of smooth bores in this caliber. Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
.62 (20 gauge)! Yes, I agree -- if I were to own only one blackpowder gun that's what'd be. Range will be the same as any smoothbore longun more or actually a little less than a heavier-barreled, sighted, rifly-stocked smoothrifle...

I suppose a .54 (28 gauge) would be my next consideration these days but it'd be way down on the list.

Enjoy!

Yes there is versatility. Mine is a Pedersoli Trade Gun, and it shoots shot very well, harvests squirrels and birds and rabbits. On paper it punch good groups out to fifty yards, but I haven't had the chance to try it on deer yet. I am also going to add a rear sight, plus I am going to try "candle" cartridges with the shot loads to see how far out I can extend the pattern. So YES I'd say it's an all around gun.

You will have to work with it a lot to find the best loads for your applications... but GEESH that's a big part of the fun! :grin:

LD

If by "all around" you're including waterfowl, I'd say no to the 20. If a 12 "feels" too big for you, a 16 gauge might be a better compromise. I don't own a 16, but if I had to part with my current spread of 20s and 12s for a single replacement, I'd probably settle on a 16.

There is a smoothbore forum here. Spend time perusing old threads. Lots of information and experience shared there.
Methinks a smooth flinter might just be the idea survival gun. Under the worst of circumstances one can find rocks that will spark, small pebbles that can be shot and you can even make bp.
With better circumstances a flint smoothie is very versitile and a lot of fun to shoot.

Longgun 1894,
Your 54 interests me as does the 24ga. 20 would be fine but any larger begins to work over my neck (too many motorcycle wrecks during a most proactive and enjoyable youth. I presently use a 12ga pump on Crane and goose but I pay for it. The .54 (or is it a .55?) Is a question in my mind for Turkey as a scatter gun. Presently am planning to use the .32 with the 45gr cast ball. Would be interested in your loads for the 54. Thanks for your reply.

Will be traveling through eastTx this spring. Would swing by and say howdy if ya'll will be around.

Truly sorry to hear about your wife -been there.
Thanks for the reply. Was wondering about bbl. Length as the current 12ga is 18" long. I' shot it for so long that a 40+ inch bbl may take a couple of 360's to slow down the swing. As to sights am currently in a dilemma. The brass sight on the .32 was replaced by a Lyman globe and the brass seemed to go away on many targets. Am considering an ivory bead, but am surely open to suggestions. May be headed to Roswell later in the spring. Would buy ya a cup of coffee if you're somewhere along the route.

Later- JJ

I spent 12 years in your fine country. If I were still in residence I'd agree. When my otiginal Territorial drivers license #538xxx was stolen, I took that as a sigh and journied south.

l'm checking them out as we communicate. Current thinking is leaning toward an English Fowler kit as offered by Track-of-the-Wolf. They are a tad pricey but after my experience with the .32 (as noted in the general section under bad bbls) I'd like to consider better quality than I have with the Traditions. Anyone have experience with Tracks kits?

Build Track's English Fowling Gun, in traditional brass or iron trim, with hooked breech, 42" octagon-to-round barrel

You might want to take at North Star West, they make some nice smooth bores, both in finished and kit format.

JJ32 said:
I have a 50 cal inline and a 32 traditional which is a thing of beauty to me. The 50 is going the way of many good things this year. Am seeking a very traditional fowler as a most versatile firearm in the venue of B. J. Spencers' stories.
What might the effective range be with a ball for Deer? What degree of accuracy might be achieved? Etc.

There is no ML that will do everything well or be the most efficient for EVERY THING.
Just as there is no 44 magnum load that is right for everything one might want to use one for.
If the fowler ever worked all that well for ball why was the frontier invariably mostly rifle armed?
If you work really hard the smoothbore is a reliable 50-60 yard deer gun. IF it has rifle sights.

Dan

The 20 gauge (.62) can't be beat for an "everything" gun. If you go larger or even smaller you are moving toward "specialization".

A .600" (+ or -) ball hits like Thor's hammer on large game and handles shot with aplomb. Being a muzzleloader, a 20 can be stoked with 12 gauge shot charges to bring it out of the mid bore performance category. It excels with patched or bare ball loads.

With my own 20, a flint early American fowler, I hunt with mostly ball and have only experimented with various shot charges. 25 yard patterns are quite fine for turkey and squirrel. And if recoil is an issue the 20 is a gentle giant, well, not really but is certainly far from the big shoulder bruisers.

I too vote for the 20 ga. I have taken black bear, deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, duck, quail, and chukar with mine. Accurate for deer out to a little over 50 yards. Black bear was about 20 yards. 75 gr. 3f with patched round ball for both deer and bear.

fahopity said:
You might want to take at North Star West, they make some nice smooth bores, both in finished and kit format.
I'll second this vote for NSW. Laffindog is one of our regulars here and a straight up guy. While Caywood builds a good product, you need to be aware that they have a super strong opinion about vent liners. Don't ask, they won't do it and if you install one the whole warranty goes out the window! guess they're entitled to any opinion they like. If you buy a hand made used gun or decide to order one through a builder, be sure to ask questions about everything...it'll save on surprises on both sides.

Back