• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

24 Uberti 1862 Police unpack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A new Uberti 1862 Police arrived today from Midway. Was in a Stoeger box, dated 2024. Great finish, wiped off the oil, tried to cock, cylinder won't turn. Pulled the wedge and barrel, no aparrent problem. Checked arbor, correct length believe it or not. After fiddling and looking it over with a light and magnifier (At 70 I've turned into Mr Magoo) the wedge slot in the arbor is milled short. There is a 32nd" of solid arbor visible through the slot on the muzzle end. Can't get a photo with my phone. Putting the wedge in jams the cylinder.

A new Uberti 1862 Police arrived today from Midway. Was in a Stoeger box, dated 2024. Great finish, wiped off the oil, tried to cock, cylinder won't turn. Pulled the wedge and barrel, no aparrent problem. Checked arbor, correct length believe it or not. After fiddling and looking it over with a light and magnifier (At 70 I've turned into Mr Magoo) the wedge slot in the arbor is milled short. There is a 32nd" of solid arbor visible through the slot on the muzzle end. Can't get a photo with my phone. Putting the wedge in jams the cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_20240717_172915.jpg
    IMG_20240717_172915.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mailman delivered it at 5:15pm, by the time I was ready to call Midway customer service they were closed. Gonna call tomorrow. Been reading about the problems with the Uberti 1862 Police revolver for years, but Midway had them on sale for $299. I'm thinking that they must have fixed the problems by now, nope 😏
Does Midway think it's ok to sell defective merchandise? Since it isn't functional, tell them you're returning a paperweight, not a revolver.

The arbor appears to be the correct length, but must be .002 or .003 short to be binding the cylinder. Not sure what I can use for a shim that thin.

I was bit similarly on a Palmetto 1862 I bought from Dixie in their store 10-15 years ago. Was on a road trip and stopped in there and they were on sale super cheap, and as I said I had a fondness for the Colt design. Impulse buy to be sure.

Didn't look at it close enough, largely I guess because of my overwhelming good experiences with Dixie (since then as well) and was in a hurry to leave and get back on the road to my destination. Well, when I looked at it, the barrel was offset from the cylinder a bit and as it turned out not from a timing issue but in how the frame was drilled. I kept it, thinking I could come up with a repair, as it was cheap enough and I had other 1862s. It has pretty much sat in the safe ever since

Call them and they will probably give you a return.
I had a issue with a uberti 1849 and they offered me a return on the phone.
I didn't return it just fixed the issue myself to be done with it.

I got a Uberti 1862 police from Midway last week for $299. It was a little rough for the first 30 rbs. After a good cleaning, the last 20 rbs were fine. I ordered some Slixshot nipples and a second main spring to clear up any cap jams. The box was even in good shape.

I got a Uberti 1862 police from Midway last week for $299. It was a little rough for the first 30 rbs. After a good cleaning, the last 20 rbs were fine. I ordered some Slixshot nipples and a second main spring to clear up any cap jams. The box was even in good shape.
Glad one of us lucked out

Just called Midway customer service, they sent me a prepaid return label. This would be a good price for you folks who work on these revolvers, not so much if you want a revolver that's ready to go out of the box. I have 3 Pietta Colt repros, this is my first and last Uberti.

The arbor appears to be the correct length, but must be .002 or .003 short to be binding the cylinder. Not sure what I can use for a shim that thin.
Appears to be? Did you actually measure it? I'd be absolutely shocked to find a Uberti only .002" short because all of mine were .070" to .090" short.

Appears to be? Did you actually measure it? I'd be absolutely shocked to find a Uberti only .002" short because all of mine were .070" to .090" short.
Just did a quick check, see photo. I'm tired of fixing new guns, and I can't see very well now, and my finger tips are numb, so I'm returning it for a refund.

Just did a quick check, see photo. I'm tired of fixing new guns, and I can't see very well now, and my finger tips are numb, so I'm returning it for a refund.

That's not how you check them . . .

Mike

That's not how you check them . . .

Mike
Downloaded a copy of Larsen Pettifoggers Tuning the Pietta P&B revolver a few years ago. Used it to tune my 3 Pietta Colt repos. Don't claim to be a gunsmith, but it worked for my purposes. Professional gunsmiths are beyond my broken down mud roller pension ☺️

Back