• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.28ga (.54cal) Early Virginia Smoothbore meets 8 Pointer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
My goal was to fill my buck tags this year by christening two new Flintlocks, mission accomplished!

Had gone every day but Sunday since last Tuesday November 1st, and had not seen another adult deer of any kind...finally accepted that I couldn’t just keep going early mornings and late afternoons with the full moon this week...so I decided to hunt mid-day today, 10:00-2:00pm.

I just got nicely settled into the stand at 9:15 and this 8 pointer caught me by surprise at 9:30, coming through the Oaks head down / nose on a hot Doe track, moving right along.
By the time I got my glove off, set the trigger, slipped off the hammer stall he was on me at 20yds...looked up at my movement raising the Flintlock and I shot him.
He lunged, fell, got up to lunge again, fell again, then just kicked a couple times and lay still.
Gave him to the same needy family, will try to get them some Does, then try some squirrels.

1770’s Early Virginia .28ga (.54cal) Smoothbore Flintlock
90grns Goex 3F / Oxyoke .022” Patch / Hornady .520”/220grn ball

11091154cal-28gaSmoothboreVirginia8PointerDarker.jpg

Good deal. Got 'em christened right. :thumbsup:
I like the color and grain on that stock. Nice. :thumbsup:

Another nice buck. Congratulations.

You take a nice photo too Roundball.

Greg

Yes, a pretty piece of wood for sure, and Matt Avance/TVM can put a good finish on a stock too...

:hatsoff: good job! grats! you give me hope...!

:hmm: I must jus be pickin the wrong 15 minutes,,lol

roundball said:
Yes, a pretty piece of wood for sure, and Matt Avance/TVM can put a good finish on a stock too...

And you put a good finish on your conversion to the new guns. Well done! :hatsoff:

Mike Brines said:
I'm beginning to think he's got 'em tied to a tree!!
Mike, I think they are pets. He gets them to lay down next to his rifle for a photo session. :haha:
Congrats Bill on another fine buck!! :hatsoff:

Outstanding!!nice lookin deer and the gun aint half bad either LOL!! Where was the shot on the deer?(POI)

That gun's so pretty carrying it through the woods I almost don't care if I get anything or not...LOL.

Shot him on his left side...I usually try and make photos that don't show the wounds or blood.
PS:
If you're not aware of it, using the "Red-Eye Removal" feature after loading photos onto the PC makes blood disappear with a click of the mouse

Back