• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.29 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yodder22

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello I am new to this sight and new to black powder. I am looking for a bullet mold or someplace to order .29 caliber round balls and patches.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

A 3/4 - 7/8 inch diameter patch will work fine.

As for a .29 diameter ball I don't have any idea where you could find one.

Hornady and Speer make a .310 diameter lead roundball for the .32 caliber muzzleloaders.

You didn't say what kind of gun or what caliber you have. Maybe if we knew this information we could come up with some solution for you?

Track of the Wolf has .283 round balls if that will work for you.

Might have to go with a custom mold in that size. Likewise, I can't find a listing for a pre-cut patch smaller than cut for 30-36 cal..

I shoot a gun with a .30 caliber Bill Large barrel, and have had very good results with .295 balls. I have a mould from Rapine for .290 balls, but the .295 balls do better. I cut patches at the muzzle, never use pre-cut ones.

Spence

What size ball would you recommend me shooting. I had a local fellow recommend a .280 with a .010 patch.

I got my .290 mold from Jeff Tanner. Dandy mold priced right, but no sprue plate if that's a consideration for you.

If you'd rather not cast, get an 8-pound jug of #2 1/2 buckshot (.290) from Ballistic Products for $37. At less than 40 grains per ball, that something over 1,400 balls, which works out to less than $2.75 per box of 100, compared to cast balls if you can find them. Yeah, they're a little harder than pure lead but so?

Yodder said:
What size ball would you recommend me shooting. I had a local fellow recommend a .280 with a .010 patch.
I've generally found that tight balls give me the best accuracy, so I usually shoot balls .005" to .010" smaller than caliber. You have to do some shooting to determine which works best in your gun. There are other considerations than very best accuracy for me and a lot of others, ease of loading in the hunting field, problems from fouling accumulation making it necessary to wipe the bore frequently, etc., so a lot of guys will go with smaller balls. I do in some guns and in some situations.

Spence

Thanks Spence but for right now it looks like I'm going to have to settle for the .283 rb, since that is all I can find.

Welcome. :hatsoff:
Ballistic products.com has buckshot made in .240,.260,.270,.280,and .290.
I have not found any balls precisely made in that size.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be cheaper just to cut your own patches. I just cut 1.5" for everything. They start getting a little tight in 36 and under since there is so much excess. From there I cut them in 4ths at .75".They work fine from 36 down to 25.

If you end up with a little smaller ball then you would like, such as a #2 buckshot then you could use an old pair of bluejeans for patches. They usually measure about .022. If you find a mould at .280 then .015 pillow ticking or khaki pants would work good. If you order that tight ball then you probably would want .010 pillow ticking or an old tee shirt. Thrift store clothes are usually a buck or less and give a lot of patches. You'll likely need to swab between shots since a little bore gets messed up quick.

For lube an easy way is to put 7 parts water to ballistol. Soak and let dry. For swabbing 1 part ballistol and pinesol to 22 parts water, just a few drops on a dry patch. The bore shouldn't need a drying swab afterwards.

I think BrownBear has the right idea.

Simple solution on the patches question is to simply cut them at the muzzle.

Back