• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd Bird, Seasons over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDee Flohr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had probably the most unique turkey hunt/harvest yesterday that I've ever had.
I had set up on a piece of ground that holds a lot of birds in the winter but just a few this time of year. I had seen a good tom there last weekend so figured I'd give it a try.
After several hours and only seeing two hens, I was getting a bit bored. Not even a gobble was heard. About that time a storm front moved in and things started getting ugly. I packed up my gear in a hurry to get the heck out of there. Well, it was a short lived storm and blew through about the time I was back at the truck.
Since I hadn't had much action I decided to go over to another chunk of ground that I knew had a good supply of birds. I pulled in the drive and turkeys were running for cover everywhere. Figured I'd blown it for the day so I continued driving in to turn around and head for home.
That's when I spotted a tom and hen in an alfalfa field about 80 yards away. The alfalfa is tall and I couldn't tell how good he was but figured I'd watch them for a while and take some photos. As I grabbed the camera they both hunkered down trying to hide. They were hid quite well in the tall alfalfa, and if I hadn't seen them duck down,I would have never seen them. After a few minutes I'm thinking, I wonder how tight they will hold? Figuring I have nothing to lose, I grab the shotgun and start walking toward where I had last seen them. At about 30 yards the hen explodes out of there. I look close and can just make out a red head in the tall alfalfa. He's still holding tight. I walk a bit closer and at 20 yards I'm close enough. After what seems like forever he gets up. That's when I could finally tell he was a shooter.
When the smoke cleared, my season was over.

IWTom.jpg

IWbird.jpg

Nice story and a great hunt! Did you shoot him out of the air after he flushed? By the way, those photos make me feel warm and fuzzy! Thanks for sharing this with us! :thumbsup:

Great work...good looking kit too!
:thumbsup:

As an aside, were you hunting wearing the big white shirt the whole time?

Thanks for posting that great hunting story and photos. It's always enjoyable seeing pics of traditional hunting gear and guns (and game harvested, too). :thumbsup:

Wow: That looks like a bigger bird than your first was! Congratulations!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Sometimes you just have to make due with what the Lord Provides. The chance of being able to spot and then walk up on turkeys again are remote, but what a story you have to tell about this one!

I think a season just about can't get any better than this. Thank you for the stories,-- and the dreams. :wink: :bow: :thumbsup:

Now that is what I'm talkin bout right there! BAM!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Great pics too!!!!
Wess

roundball, yep, this is what I was wearing.
chance, There is no makers name on the gun. It's a 16 ga. about 1860 vintage.
Paul, This bird was much larger than the first.

Well done Sir! nice stalk a true hunters way of killing a turkey1 Big medicine! No camo for you, Love the buckskin and ole dropsleeve

that is a great story, & a heck of a way to bag a tom. Almost like walking up pheasants, only a lot bigger and harder to kill! congrats!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I just found out yesterday that we are allowed three tags this spring, and our season runs to the end of the month. As much as I love chasing old three toes and taking the photos, I'm not getting another tag. No sense in being greedy, two birds is enough this spring.

Definitely an usual way of getting such a fine tom - I bet you can't do that again! :haha: I just love the colors on those Merriams. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back