• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 months 'til turkey season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a turkey hunter, so will let others take them. I've taken a few longbeards and didn't think them fit to eat(tough old birds), so will let them walk and admire them when they present themselves. Coyotes, OTOH.....

I've taken a few longbeards and didn't think them fit to eat, so will let them walk and admire them when they present themselves. Coyotes, OTOH.....[/quote]

I agree. I killed a 28 pound long beard, actually 2 beards, and it was as tough as shoe leather. I only shoot jakes now. Keep yer powder dry..... robin :hmm:

Deputy Dog said:
tough as shoe leather.

Pressure cooker or slow cooker in lots of juice. :thumbsup: If cooked like a fat Butterball, they are just too dry, IMO.

We have about 3 months as well, but since Minnesota now gives a bowhunter the entire turkey season instead of just a week, and no applying for the best and first two time periods, I think my Bob Lee recurve will get the nod of approval over the smoothie.

Good luck with the recurve Mike. If successful, you'll truly have a trophy to be proud of :thumbsup: .

I'm surprised by all the negative commentary regarding turkey as table fare. I've never met a bite of wild turkey that disagreed with me. :idunno:

Maybe a Ford/Chevy thing.

Best regards all, Skychief

Same here Skychief, my wife fixes them,and they are great :grin: A recurve kill would sure be braggin" rights :thumbsup:

Turkeys???? still chasing squirrels and rabbits...

cut breasts into thin strips ...saute in butter...makes the big old toms melt in your mouth.

22fowl said:
Turkeys???? still chasing squirrels and rabbits...

cut breasts into thin strips ...saute in butter...makes the big old toms melt in your mouth.

Take it a step further....cut into strips, coat in egg, cover in 4c seasoned bread crumbs and deep fry for about a minute and a half or 2 min depending on thickness and then toss in your favorite wing sauce. :shocked2:
I can eat so much in one sitting I get the meat sweats! :grin: :surrender:

I killed my 1st Tom last spring with a modern. My percussion 20ga side by is shipped and on its way. I'll have it by the weekend. I am hoping to get a load worked up for it by April 8th. Our spring opener :grin:

Wanted to report that the gobblers here are really staking out their strutting territories. The last week, they've been coming out of the woodwork and staking claim to certain areas of the fields.

I watched a couple vying for the same real estate today. For 15-20 minutes, one ran another off of a little knoll in a cornfield, time and again. :haha:

Yesterday morning, I sat at daybreak (coffee in hand) in a swing behind the house and listened to 6-7 different toms. They were really amped up, gobbling like mad. One was up on a ridge about 150 yards away. When he wasn't gobbling enough to suit me, I owl-hooted him back to action! :thumbsup: Talk about tough...crawling into my truck for a day of work, "mid-concert", so to speak. :slap:

With all that said, I replaced the touch hole liner of my fowling piece his evening. With each stroke of the file, a crooked grin formed upon my mug, as I looked forward to a month from now and matching wits with the finest game to be found anywhere! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Good luck all. It won't be much longer, Skychief

Same here Skychief! Got the turkeys running around gathering hens and staking their claim! Sadly seems the ones that the group in the area I'm going to hunt has moved off... Still a few more weeks until season though, so who knows!

Too bad I won't have my smoothbore before season though!

Good luck to ya!

Back