• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 months 'til turkey season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 months has now turned into 3 days until the opener :thumbsup:

I spied on a couple of toms courting two hens this morning. This, on the farm I killed last Springs gobbler. I should say that I watched one tom courting the ladies, as the second shadowed the first, staying several steps behind, never strutting. I suppose he'd taken a beating from the other at some point. :haha:

I watched their routine from a wooded hillside for an hour and snuck out of there.

At home, I shot the fowler a couple more times at turkey drawings, though there really was no need. Cleaned her up good and took some extra time addressing the flint. It's sharp as a razor, and tight in the cock. Ready for Wednesday.

Midday, about an hour ago found me back on the farm with some pruning shears. I went to the "island" of scrubby trees in the middle of the field where last year's hunt took place. A few multiflora rose branches obscured my view of the field. They were snipped away and now all should be well with my little hide.

Just need to saturate a cushion wad or two in olive oil for my load, and, sand my slate call a bit, then I should be all ready.

I'm excited.

Best regards, Skychief

I am ready for some pics skychief .Sounds like you have your plans all made . Good luck Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pictures, pictures, pictures! :shocked2:

Whoa, we shouldn't put the cart before the horse (er, turkey). :haha:

I hope to have something picture worthy and that my compatriot Spence might post them here, but, one thing at a time boys. Remember? Roosted ain't roasted! :nono: :hmm:

Chomping at the bit, Skychief

To quote Skychief, no no no you WILL be successful and you Will post pictures . Lol Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Im bettin we some pics, also betting the accompanying narrative will be "intersting", maybe nothin like we expect to hear. Turkey huntin is the funest kind IMHO

Skychief said:
Wanted to report that the gobblers here are really staking out their strutting territories. I had an old diamond and replaced the diamond atomic strings to take one down. The last week, they've been coming out of the woodwork and staking claim to certain areas of the fields.

I watched a couple vying for the same real estate today. For 15-20 minutes, one ran another off of a little knoll in a cornfield, time and again. :haha:

Yesterday morning, I sat at daybreak (coffee in hand) in a swing behind the house and listened to 6-7 different toms. They were really amped up, gobbling like mad. One was up on a ridge about 150 yards away. When he wasn't gobbling enough to suit me, I owl-hooted him back to action! :thumbsup: Talk about tough...crawling into my truck for a day of work, "mid-concert", so to speak. :slap:

With all that said, I replaced the touch hole liner of my fowling piece his evening. With each stroke of the file, a crooked grin formed upon my mug, as I looked forward to a month from now and matching wits with the finest game to be found anywhere! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Good luck all. It won't be much longer, Skychief

Thanks! really can't wait.

Does anything smell sweeter than the white smoke of black powder in April? :hmm:

I think not.

I shall return with a tale and hopefully some photos.

First things first, I'll be dining on fresh morels and very fresh, deep-fried WILD TURKEY STRIPS!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gobble, gobble, Skychief

Back