• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.31 Pocket Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vairochana

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gday all,
I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought I'd drop in and show off something I picked up.
Its an original .31 Colt in what I would describe as pretty good condition, all serial numbers match, the action is tight and all the clockwork works well. There is virtually no silver left and very little blueing but the case hardening is nice and pretty. The grips are original and fit perfectly. The cones are pretty good to.
I picked it up for a very good price.
A lot of these came to Oz for the Gold Rush and Ned Kelly even had one on him when they finally got him.
I haven't shot it as I have it as a collector piece and rather stupidly here you need a license if you want to make it go bang (I envy some of your gun laws-almost all of them actually :wink: )
Any way here is a pic or two:
a.jpg

DSC04297a.jpg

DSC04291a.jpg

Congradulations on a really nice find!
A rare piece of history.
I have owned two reproduction Baby Dragoon Colts.
Nice to hold, but totaly useless to shoot and use.
Your little Colt is in great shape for it's age, and great piece to have.
All the best!
Old Ford

Beautiful. A real treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW, I suspect you really meant that you admire our LACK of gun laws; while most of us would prefer fewer than we have, we do tend to forget there are those who are under more oppression.

Very nice indeed! Colt produced tons of them, they were a top seller in their day. Today we think of them as being under-powered pop guns but they were considered serious weapons at the time. The guns and their ammunition were light and easy to pack, just the thing for a bush ranger.

Well my Brother, you have a real find there! Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow, that's special. Thanks for showing her off. But I must say, you can't include a picture of your rifle too without telling us a little something about her as well... Please?
:grin:

Gday,
I have posted that one up before, but I will add some more pics when I get home tonite:
It is a 16ga J.O.Moyne (I think) shotgun, made in London. It is an original and is age darkened but otherwise in pretty good nick.
I haven't shot this one, but I do intend to use it on clays at some point.
As far as I can tell these were low cost 'farm guns' having said that it is put together and fitted very nicely- etter than many new 'factory' guns today.
It points nicely and naturaly and would be a pleasure to carry and shoot :)

Smoothbore huh? Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. She sure is a fine looking piece and I know you'll enjoy shooting her too. Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:

very nice, I really like those half-stock percussion shotguns, they're generally light and quick handling.

Beautiful Colt Pocket Model!! Congratulations on a great find. My first original muzzleloader was a Colt 1849 Pocket Model--bought that one when I was still in high school and still have it--had it for something like 35 years now. It's not in the condition your's is though. Funny thing--when I was in Arizona in the Army in 1980 I was telling a guy about it--he told me what it was and that it was supposed to have a stagecoach scene on t. I remembered the serial number and told him--he looked in a book and said it was an early one--made in 1852. Well, when I got home some months later I looked at it and had the serial number correct--except for one digit at the end I had left off. That changed the production date to 1872!

Latest posts

Back