• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32, .36, or .40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearhunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a custom flintlock made. It's going to one of these calibers and I plan on hunting squirrels, ground hogs, coon, and other small furry critters. I'd also like to go to some skirmishes with it. I've been leaning toward the 40. What are your thoughts?

I have a .40 in the works for me when I get the chance :v

I know from experience that a .36 can get all that done out to 50 yards.

bearhunter said:
I've been looking into getting a custom flintlock made. It's going to one of these calibers and I plan on hunting squirrels, ground hogs, coon, and other small furry critters. I'd also like to go to some skirmishes with it. I've been leaning toward the 40. What are your thoughts?

I am partial to the .36 for small critters. I use 000 buchshot which saves me from having to buy another mould. Someone posted that 000 buck is harder than dead soft lead, which is true, but I found no need for expansion on either squirrel, rabbit, or coon, for that matter.

I also read you want to plink 100 yard gongs. The larger the caliber, the better when going at long distances, especially when it is windy.

I'd go with .40 only because .36 and .32 balls are too small for my fingers...and you can use a 3/8" rod with a .40.

:wink:

Stophel said:
I'd go with .40 only because .36 and .32 balls are too small for my fingers...and you can use a 3/8" rod with a .40.

:wink:

+1...With my .40 I go down to 25grs FFF for smaller game and have used as much as 70gr FFF for the larger stuff...As mentioned, that 3/8 ramfod really fills the bore, no damage of breakage...

When you indicated you want to shoot some of the longer targets, that settled the question on a .40 caliber rifle. You can down load it for small game, but it is the choice for 100 yd shooting, and a bit further, unless you move on up to a .45.

My nephew and his youngest boy both shoot 40's. And they do very well on paper as well as Ohio White tails. The 40 will hit gongs well at 100 yrds and is effective on game up the white tails at short ranges.As I always say:" it isn't how hard you hit them, but where you hit them. "

Being able to use the larger sized rod is a major advantage for the .40 over the .36 . - Smoothshooter

Another vote for the .40, it is not too big for squirrels, and is great for groundhogs and larger varmints. It is great for paper out to 100 yards or so.

I had to make the same decision when I was getting ready for my first build. What clinched my decision was the precarved stock I had had its ramrod drilled for a 3/8 rod, and .40 is the smallest caliber that is able to use a 3/8 rod.

Figured what twist on a custom forty?

Anybody tried anything but a 48"?
Is 48" the high end on velocity for a forty? Mid range?

bearhunter said:
You think the 40 would have any better or a range for 100yd gongs?

You want a .40 then. I won't shoot my .36 over 50yds at anything. Even breezes start playing havoc with a .36 out to 100yds.

Back