• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32, .36, or .40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would choose the .40, I think most makers use the 1/48 twist, I have not heard of other twists or their stats in the .40.

The problem with the .36 (and I like the .36) is that most folks want to shoot it at distances that are too far. Had a buddy who decided he wanted to shoot some gongs at 110 yards. Well, he fired his first shot at that distance and it strained the barrel (doesn't hurt 'em if you keep it under 75 yards, though) so bad it never shot worth a darn after that :rotf:. Go .40! It's strong enough to not hurt itself at that distance. :haha:

All of my .40s have deep grove rifling and are 1/66 twist. I use 50 gr FF for 25 and 50 yards and 75 gr with same sight picture at 100 and for hunting. .395 ball and .015 patch.
TC

Just as an aside, I recall that some 40 years ago .40 caliber was a common LR bore and touted as a deer getter and all around rifle-I concur for the most part. .45 caliber was thought of as "large". This is the same reason some folks hold onto their leisure suits. :idunno:

Yes, bring backs memories. In my area, everyone had a 45cal. and thought it was great. Then they came out with 50cal. and everyone saw that at that time, a 50cal. was legal for everything in N. America and all had to have one. Then the 54cal. came out and if you aren't shooting a 54, you are shooing a peashooter. Then the BIG BORE 58's came out............ Heck, if you are into marketing, you have to do something different to keep selling something. If it is legal to use in your state, buy it and enjoy it for the reason you want.

hanshi said:
Had a buddy who decided he wanted to shoot some gongs at 110 yards. Well, he fired his first shot at that distance and it strained the barrel (doesn't hurt 'em if you keep it under 75 yards, though) so bad it never shot worth a darn after that :rotf:. Go .40! It's strong enough to not hurt itself at that distance. :haha:

I don't want to hijack this thread, Hanshi, but what exactly do you mean by "strained the barrel"? I don't believe I have ever run across this term used to describe damage to a firearm. Thanks.

Lobo

hanshi said:
Just as an aside, I recall that some 40 years ago .40 caliber was a common LR bore and touted as a deer getter and all around rifle-I concur for the most part. .45 caliber was thought of as "large". This is the same reason some folks hold onto their leisure suits. :idunno:

NEVER had a leisure suit.
Hanshi Travolta ?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lobo, You strain a barrel by simply trying to shoot too far with it. Sometimes a barrel can never recover. It happens the most with smallbores.

Le Grand said:
Lobo, You strain a barrel by simply trying to shoot too far with it. Sometimes a barrel can never recover. It happens the most with smallbores.
:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Looks like an simple solution to me, get one of each. Problem solved. Remember that old song saying that " One is the loneliest number that you'll ever find " Vern

Ancient One said:
Looks like an simple solution to me, get one of each. Problem solved. Remember that old song saying that " One is the loneliest number that you'll ever find " Vern
:grin: I agree. But I'd start with the .40.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Ok yall have me thinking. :hmm: Was planing to buld a TOW Southern in .36. May have to go .40.

Lobo, If that barrel is asked to shoot that ball too far, it injures the barrel. Think of it like a baseball pitcher throwing harder than he should or throwing farther than he should. Strained shoulder, elbow, maybe damaged rotator cuff.

Sometimes-if you have treated the gun right and have a good relationship with it-you can explain the situation to it first so it can get prepared for that long shot. :grin:

Thanks for the explanation, Hanshi. I was thinking it might be more like a hernia...

Lobo

You can add a bungee cord from the cock to the front of the trigger guard to get a harder strike or just yank the trigger harder.

bearhunter said:
I've been looking into getting a custom flintlock made. It's going to one of these calibers and I plan on hunting squirrels, ground hogs, coon, and other small furry critters. I'd also like to go to some skirmishes with it. I've been leaning toward the 40. What are your thoughts?

The real answer is, one apiece each! :grin:

Spot said:
Ancient One said:
:grin: I agree. But I'd start with the .40.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Yep... :thumbsup:

Back