• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal deerhunter rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecarpenter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
just go email confermation that my .32 cal deerhunter is on its way. should have in on wed. I know it ain't much but it is all I can afford for a .32 cal at the moment. been wanting a .32 for a while. I ordered it saturday. can't wait. got to order myself a mold and also get some #1 buckshot. also got to figure out what size patch to use in it. mark

#1 buck is going to be way small. You want 00 (double ought) buck for a 32 and 000 (triple ought) for a 36.

Have a ball with it. I may talk and think more about deer hunting, but counting days hunted and animals taken, I'm mostly a rabbit hunter. And yup, most of that is with a 32. You'll be a happy camper!

Hello from Germany,

have the deerhunter from Traditions in .50. Nice and good shooting rifle for a budget price. Think also about a .32 deerhunter.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm not doubting you on the size. I'm just going on what I've found on a chart. #00 buck is 0.34 and #000 is 0.36 so at this moment not sure what to do. need to get ahold of some before I buy a whole bag of the stuff. mark

According to the Hornady literature, their buckshot comes in the following sizes:
#1`(.300"), 0-SG (.320"), 00-SG (.330"), & 000-SG (.350"). I think the #1 Buck with a .010" patch would be a good starting point. I use both the 00 & 000 in a couple of my handguns & have found that they are not pure lead, but an alloy that is quite hard. They still shoot well enough, but don't know how well they'd expand on game, if that is a consideration....I suspect a head shot squirrel doesn't need any expansion though!

I have a different chart that agrees on the sizes of the smaller buckshot, but says the 000 is .360". I would go with the Hornaday chart. #1 buck, with a good patch should work well in a .32 rifle. If you want a really tight ball to barrel fit, then order the #0 Buckshot.

All commercial shot is made with antimony to harden it. There are trace elements of other metals, but lead and antimony are the primary components. They may require a firm rap to start down the barrel, but this is a small ball- 45 grains or maybe less, 65 grains in .36 caliber. You are not going to hurt your hand smacking a short starter to get these small balls going down the barrel. The tighter fit will insure consistent accuracy, and better chamber pressure, and burning of the powder in the barrel, so you don't have cinders and unburned powder in the residue to clean out.

I just ordered a 5#bag of #1 buck from midwayusa should see it on thursday. I will play with and see. also ordered a box of .310 balls to see how they do. had the wife pick up some .010 patches for the .32 tonight. go some .018 patches coming to. will see how every thing does when I get it. if the #1 buck don't work I will melt it down and mold them bigger. waiting to see how everything works before I order a ball mold. I enjoy molding my own balls.

I'm looking at the lee double cavity mold .311 th. and also maybe even a bag or kentucky mold from dixie to carry with me out in the field.

I like the way the .310 balls shoot in my .32. I just use Wallyworld blue pillow ticking patches cut at the muzzle with natual lube.

.310 balls, Walmart blue pillowtick and the most natural of lubes "SPIT" is very accurate in my .32, no cleaning between shots.

years ago i used buckshot for my 36 navy,cap and ball,,,don't remember the size markings,,,is it still available???

the darn weather has not been nice on the weekends for me. took it out the other evening for a bit and shot it a couple times. nothing on paper yet. shoots nice and seems accurate enough. took what was left of a glass insulater on a phone pole off at about 15 yards. the front and rear site though not PC kind of glow which makes them easy to see if you have to wear glasses like I do. hoping to shoot some this weekend but we may have some more bad weather. so will have to see.
mark

Have one. It is extremely accurate. .311 balls, 25gr fffg, 0.10 patch with Stumpys moose juice and it shoots 3/4 inch at 30 yds. Best $160 I ever spent.

Just picked up a Traditions "Crockett" 32 Cal. today----really seems to be a sweetheart of a rifle! Owners manual says to use .310 round balls and .012 patches. 20Gr. 3F powder for most accurate load and 35Gr. 3F for Max.

Can I use 2F powder?? When I picked up the gun at Traditions they said I could use c2F, but, the owners manual makes no mention of 2F, only 3F??

Latest posts

Back